SR20 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Speaker install question

Going to install new speakers today and have some noob questions:

- For the front speakers, on the door there is a large piece of plastic trim on the bottom of the door (I call it a map pocket) that also includes a speaker cover. Does this pop off the door to get at the speaker, or do I need to remove the whole door panel? If it pops off, any tricks so I don't break anything?

- For the rear speakers, do the speaker covers pop off, or do I need to remove trim pieces to get at the speakers?

Thanks a lot,
Steve

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Re: Speaker install question

CapoDiTuttiCapi said:
Does this pop off the door to get at the speaker, or do I need to remove the whole door panel? If it pops off, any tricks so I don't break anything?
Remove the door panel.

CapoDiTuttiCapi said:
- For the rear speakers, do the speaker covers pop off, or do I need to remove trim pieces to get at the speakers?
The grill pops right off, just give it a little tug.

C

·
8,148 Posts
Just a note. The rear speakers, you may want to cut out a "T" in the middle of the X thing that is on the speaker grill. If you are mounting coaxles like I did the tweeter will hit it. Not a biggie. The fronts, if you are installing 5 1/4 speakers or taller, you need to make a plate to move the magnet away from the window tracks. Mount the adapter plate on the door and mount the speaker on the plate. I made mine out of wood. Please do not ask me to take a pic. I cannot take that door panel off one more time. :(

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, question on wire colors for the rears: on the left side, the speaker wires are red and green, on the right side, the wires are pink and blue. The new wires with the speakers are both black (one with a gray stripe, which connects to the negative terminal on the speaker). Any help on which color should go with the gray-striped wire on the new speakers, or will it be just keep trying until I get stereo sound?

Thanks a lot,
Steve

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads-up on the "X" on the cover. Definitely needs to be trimmed. The fronts will be 4x6, so should be no problem.

Regards,
Steve

Pretty White said:
Just a note. The rear speakers, you may want to cut out a "T" in the middle of the X thing that is on the speaker grill. If you are mounting coaxles like I did the tweeter will hit it. Not a biggie. The fronts, if you are installing 5 1/4 speakers or taller, you need to make a plate to move the magnet away from the window tracks. Mount the adapter plate on the door and mount the speaker on the plate. I made mine out of wood. Please do not ask me to take a pic. I cannot take that door panel off one more time. :(

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
CapoDiTuttiCapi said:
Thanks for the heads-up on the "X" on the cover. Definitely needs to be trimmed. The fronts will be 4x6, so should be no problem.

Regards,
Steve
Say it with me... "The Dremel is my friend." :)

FYI - you can fit 6 1/2" speakers in the front. If you do, there's allot of plastic to be trimmed from behind the grill on the door panel.

Now one more time. "The Dremel is my friend."

Oh, and as to the wires. You'll get stereo, that's not the problem, if you hook them up backwards, the phasing will be bad. I don't know which is which though. Sadly, I cannot answer all of your inquiries.

C

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Called Crutchfield. Here's the NX speaker wire color info in case anyone ever needs it:

Left Front:
Positive = blue with white stripe
Negative = blue with yellow stripe

Right Front:
Positive = brown
Negative = brown with white stripe

Left Rear:
Positive = red
Negative = green

Right Rear:
Positive = blue
Negative = pink

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
i jsut ran new wire from the reciever to the new speakers the doors were a bitch cause i couldnt open the driverside all the way

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
serchef said:
i jsut ran new wire from the reciever to the new speakers the doors were a bitch cause i couldnt open the driverside all the way
I can relate to that. I have a VERY narrow garage and I can only open the doors about half way before they hit a wall. For that reason, I did the speaker install outside.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chriscar said:
Say it with me... "The Dremel is my friend." :)
Hey Chris,

The Dremel is my friend. Know what's a better friend? Having a dad who recently retired, who owns a Dremel tool, and is looking for things to do. :D The speaker covers now fit very well. ;)

BTW, I haven't forgotten about my idea to do a detailing clinic/get together. Seems like every weekend, there's something else going on. I will get to it somehow......

·
Enjoying the Ride
2,127 Posts
Called Crutchfield. Here's the NX speaker wire color info in case anyone ever needs it:

Left Front:
Positive = blue with white stripe
Negative = blue with yellow stripe

Right Front:
Positive = brown
Negative = brown with white stripe

Left Rear:
Positive = red
Negative = green

Right Rear:
Positive = blue
Negative = pink
Happy LOVES the search button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts