SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what size speakers fit in our openings? I want to replace both the front and rear speakers. If I can do this without first ripping my car apart to find out the OE speaker sizes that'd be great.

I'll probably stick with OE speaker sizes unless it's easy to upgrade either the front or rear speakers. It would be nice to have 6x9s in the back...

Thanks.

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
G

·
Crutchfield is NOT right! I went to their website, saw that the fronts were 5 1/4's and proceeded to buy a set of 5 1/4's from someone else. What a nightmare!! The factory speakers are actually like 4X6's that are mounted in a metal adapter sheet that then affixes to mounting points on the door. I took out the stock one's and was like "O.K., the opening seems like a 5 1/4" Guess what? It's not! It's closer to a 6 1/4 than anything, and if the speakers are too deep, you can forget about rolling down your windows!! I ended up totally mickey-mousing them in there with a homemade adapter plate w/some "insulation in a can" to fill up the 'dead air' around it, and they sound OK, but not as good as they should. If you DO order from Crutchfield, make sure those morons give you an adapter plate or something with the speakers so the fitment is right! Also, amke sure you have some good 40/60 solder on hand for the wires-the factory ones have "clips" for the inputs on the factory speakers...Happy soldering!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ok, I have replaced all the speakers and let me tell you it was a pain. I ended up putting 4 6-1/2" speakers in the car but it is a combinatination of luck and MacGyverisms...

The actual sizes of the holes (i.e. the bolt holes) are OVERSIZED 6 1/2 speakers. All FOUR are oversized 6.5s... There are actually speakers that are OVERSIZED so a regular 6-1/2 speaker won't do without jerryrigging.

However, here's the rub. You only have ~2" of speaker depth to work with in the front doors before the magnet bangs into the window track. Try finding a decent oversized 6-1/2 speakers with only 2" of depth...

I ended up making an adaptor for a set of Kenwood eXcelon regular 6.5 speakers. They sound like crap (compared to the BA Rallys in the back) but they fit and I stopped caring so much after trying my third set of speakers for the doors.

That said, I couldn't easily find oversized speakers (they are out there) so I jerryrigged four regular 6.5s... GOOD LUCK! Andy

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
the only 6.5 inch speaker I could get to fit in the door correctly is the boston pro with the adapter they give you. you guys have about the same depth I have to work with, and I was running a 5.25 boston rally in there, until the new pros came out, then I got those. only problem is they are expensive. I got a hookup on them when they first came out, and I paid a little over $400 for them. ouch, but worth every penny imho. will never buy another set of door speakers for my car again

G

·
I'm just waiting to get some extra $ and I'm going to have a friend of mine that is the Installation supervisor at a local Stereo shop build me a decent system(that's if I even hold onto this Sentra for much longer). at least the speakers I have in their now, work-the other one's were blown....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I'm in for a little bit of a task. At least with the front speakers.

But it'll be worth all the effort because the OE speakers suck.

G

·
Just an FYI, I have no idea what the size of the rear fill is-I've been told they're 6.5" too, but I fouind that whoever owned this car before me put Eclipses(!) back there, so I don't think I'll be changing them. I did buy a brand new pair of Blaupunkt 6.5" PSG series speakers, and I can sell them cheap if anyone's interested...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have 5 1/4" Cerwin Vega Stealth Series in the front and 6 1/2" Cerwin vega Stealth Series in the rear, but the 6 1/2's aren't exactly perfect on the rear. You can buy universal mounting plates to get them to fit in the rear though.

------------------
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1497569&a=11327630

Louis" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1497569&a=11327630

Louis</A> Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (7-9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Sumitomo 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

·
shift_MYSTICK
354 Posts
I thought id bring this thread back....

I recently installed new speakers all the way around and concluded this: The sentra is pretty easy to upgrade the audio system as long as you take your time!

the front and rear speakers are 6.5s, and fit damn well.... now if you are so inclined you could put 6x9s in the rear, and possibly up front with a little cutting!

but stock putting in the 6.5s are pretty easy, you'll need mounting plates, and use the clips they give you with the screws!!!!!!

but be prepared for some drilling, and a few hours of work on the first door, but the second should only take 30 min after you know what you are doing

the rear, well not too bad but screwing in the rear screws is a pain!

i put in clarion components in the front and coaxles in the rear! love it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i bought 4 pioneer coaxials in 6.5 and redrilled holes. Doesnt sound bad at all and it cost me ~100 bucks for all new speakers and a 200% improvement over the stock sounds

·
Registered
486 Posts
so if buy 6 1/2 " all the way around, should a place like best buy be able to put them in?

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
I put JL audio 6.5's in the doors. I had to redrill, and only 3 of 4 mounting holes could be done, but there are no rattles, and I have fine clearance as far as the magnet goes....Josh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts