SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let one of my daughters drive my SE-R for awhile - she mentioned that the trunk was hard to shut one time so she forced it closed. (Letting your children drive your cars is like watching someone repeatedly kick your dog) Anyway, the trunk would open and close but there was no tension to keep it in the up position - big problem if you bend down for a sack of groceries as the trunk lid comes down. So, I got in there to take a look and the pivoting drivers side bracket that holds one of the tension rods was bent like a pretzel. Took the trunk off, rebuilt the bracket and now I can't figure out how to reinstall one of the two tension rods. Any ideas? There doesn't seem to be any thing in my FSM about this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally got the tension rods installed (pretty sure they're in the right position) and finger tightened the bolts. Now the trunk is locked in the up position. My son recently sold his '92 SE-R but he says something failed with the tension rods on his car too. No one else has had this problem?

·
SE-R Geek / Nissan Tech
814 Posts
yeah....its not in the FSM, but it IS a TSB, and last I heard its still being honored.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
I never figured this out. Mine does it too and I just live with it. I can go snap a pic later of you want.

I know what you mean about the dog-kicking. People act like its a trunk slamming contest every time I drop someone off at the airport or let them get something themselves. I have to tell people its not a damn cadillac.

·
from beasty to a beauty
1,000 Posts
i use to hate when people would slam my trunk :mad: all you had to do was lay it down on the latch, and apply pressure with one finger and it would be locked

·
Yes Dear.
2,503 Posts
i had the same problem. I took out the tension rods and was done with it. There is a special way to install them. thats all i know.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to give it one more try, id est, take the trunk lid off again, remove the rods, bolt it up and then try to install the rods while I'm laying on the floor in the trunk.

P.S. I DID SEARCH! Both in my FSM and on this forum! Only after those two unsuccessful searches did I post a question. If there is a detailed write-up or discussion about this problem, I missed it but I did search. Gimme a break.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Do a search for my name and the tension rods. It took me like 5 hours but I finally figured out the trick to making them right again.

·
SE-R Geek / Nissan Tech
814 Posts
i found that body shop guys tend to know how to do it. and the last one i saw, need new brackets, cause the originals got damaged with the old rods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts