SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
92NX2K
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine came out when swapping the transmission in my nx2000. Do I need to remove the dash, or can I just remove the cluster and hook the speedometer cable back up? Thank you ahead of time.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Dont do more work then you have to....take the cluster out and see what your working with first.

If anything take the tranny side of it out for slack and then hook it back up on the cluster side then hook the tranny side back up.

<-------Has a 93 so knows nothing about a speedo cable. But im just taking a guess

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Well,l the way most people would do it is take out the cluster, connect the speedo cable, push the cluster back in the dash, then screw the other end into the tranny.

Remember, if you already screwed it into the tranny, there won't be enough slack on the cable to put it into the cluster when you take it out.

Personally, I've always just stuck my hand behind the dash and was able to connect it that way.

·
92NX2K
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,l the way most people would do it is take out the cluster, connect the speedo cable, push the cluster back in the dash, then screw the other end into the tranny.

Remember, if you already screwed it into the tranny, there won't be enough slack on the cable to put it into the cluster when you take it out.

Personally, I've always just stuck my hand behind the dash and was able to connect it that way.
what way do you route your hand? what do you have to go around, can you just go over the top of the cluster or to the side...?

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
what way do you route your hand? what do you have to go around, can you just go over the top of the cluster or to the side...?
Probably the side. To get your hand over the top or the bottom you would have to pull the cluster all the way out and probably would have enough slack to do it. To get to the back of the cluster with your hand through the side just unbolt it. Grab whatever side you want to go through and then reach back there.

You can also replace your dash Tach bulbs like that without having to unhook any harness's. Just be careful and dont strech anything

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Some cars have that pesky plastic tube the cable goes through so you can't willingly unplug the speedo cable. If you have that, you'll need to take it out while the cluster is out. I just reach up, and can feel the cable, and just route it into the cluster, bam.

·
"The Chubby Panda"
1,483 Posts
I was able to install my cable from underneath without taking anything off. Check the 'change dash bulb' writeup in the tech info library, there's a few helpful pics there.

·
like a stray puppy
2,163 Posts
Serban is also very skilled with unhooking a octuple (8) hooked bra with one hand. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've managed to hook up my speedo cable from underneath the dash as well, but, for some reason, my speedo still doesn't want to work. I've tried taking out the dash as well, no dice. I don't think the speedo cable itself is broken, I tried to pull on it and twist it, and it "feels" like it's still connected. What gives?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts