SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speed sensor is not connected and whenever i hit 3rd the cars just chip out i know its the speed sensor not being connect is causing the problem. but my gearbox has a manual senor in it so i was wondering if there is any way to trick the ECU to believe it is connected

·
Wiggle wagon driver...
1,445 Posts
why not just get the right speed sensor?

·
Done.
3,923 Posts
^ What he said. I remember someone in the classifieds selling a few speed sensors...

·
CAR SLÜT
1,622 Posts
So you have a cable speedo sensor? If so, the ECU should still be getting a speed signal from the dash.

How much boost are you running and on what ECU?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you have a cable speedo sensor? If so, the ECU should still be getting a speed signal from the dash.

How much boost are you running and on what ECU?
car is a full race KP61 toyota starlet, S13 motor but wired to use GTi-R ECU and MAF so there is no dahboard in there i am in the process of getting a electronic speed sensor was just wondering if i could trick the ECU

·
CAR SLÜT
1,622 Posts
Your using the stock GTiR ECU and MAF, with S13 injectors? If so, that is most likely your problem as the GTiR ECU is most likely hitting boost cut under load in 3rd gear(a common problem on the GTiR ECU)

You can also have the ECU chipped to remove the speed load cut out.

To confirm it is the speed cut, wait for it to occur then get off the throttle quickly then reapply full throttle again. If it keeps going, then it is the speed load cut. If it still happens, then it is the factory boost cut.

Either way, an ECU retune would get rid of either problem

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Your using the stock GTiR ECU and MAF, with S13 injectors? If so, that is most likely your problem as the GTiR ECU is most likely hitting boost cut under load in 3rd gear(a common problem on the GTiR ECU)

To confirm it is the speed cut, wait for it to occur then get off the throttle quickly then reapply full throttle again. If it keeps going, then it is the speed load cut. If it still happens, then it is the factory boost cut.

I also have a GTi-R, but mine is in a B15. I have the same stinking problem. Whenever I redline 3rd gear I hit a limiter of some sort, and it takes btween 2-5 seconds in 4th before she will rev again. Is there a quick fix for this? I have no speed sensor attached to the ECU.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

the ECU is not stock it has in one of those japanese chip boards i don't know exactly what though but suspect it has some better mappings, i am running this ecu with DSM 450cc and a S-AFC. at what boost does a GTi-R ECU cut? as i am just running 10psi, it cuts out in 3rd when ever i try to hit rev limit if i short shift to 4th it does not happend.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
the ECU is not stock it has in one of those japanese chip boards i don't know exactly what though but suspect it has some better mappings, i am running this ecu with DSM 450cc and a S-AFC. at what boost does a GTi-R ECU cut? as i am just running 10psi, it cuts out in 3rd when ever i try to hit rev limit if i short shift to 4th it does not happend.
Exactly what happens in my car, and I have stock injectors, stock ECU, and stock boost. I really hope someone can help us figure this one out, because it is truly annoying. :confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Exactly what happens in my car, and I have stock injectors, stock ECU, and stock boost. I really hope someone can help us figure this one out, because it is truly annoying. :confused:
true i lost a race sunday because of this problem, i have asked a friend of mine that have a JW program and his sensor is not connected if he has the same problem and he says no.

·
CAR SLÜT
1,622 Posts
The japanese chip board won't remove the speed load cut, as the GTiR normally would have the speedo working. So having it still enabled would be beneficial on a GTiR ECU in a car with the speedo working.

I would just fit up the speedo sensor into the gearbox and it is a rather simple wire up to the stock ECU plug.

Sigfod, I believe there is a pulse generator you can buy which pulses the GTiR ECU speedo input at a constant 40mph. It is not the actual speed that the ECU is getting but the fact the ECU knows the car is in motion and using 'that' much air flow(under a lot of load in 3rd gear)

·
CAR SLÜT
1,622 Posts
It is more based on air flow meter signal and the fact that it is consuming lots of air but the 'speed' is going no where.

As long as the speed signal is moving, it releases the internal cut out. A JWT or Calum program 'should' remove the cut out if you request it. I know I usually remove it on my ECU programs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts