SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have problem`s with my speedometer, with my 1993 nissan nx2000. When i drive the car from first gear on, till about more 40mph or more, my speedometer stays on 0. Even when it goes up it sometimes drops down like that then back up...Can anyone help with this problem??? It seems every time this problem happens i burn more gas...

·
Criminology
1,931 Posts
I had the same issue. I fixed it by replacing the cluster,.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Try removing the speedo cable then reinstalling it. See if that helps.

Also, with the tranny side of the cable disconnected, try rotating the cable by hand and have someone watch for movement on the speedo. That should help determine where your problem is.

·
NX Cruiser
1,031 Posts
yep.. Thats your next test: Speed sensor swap.

Pay special attention to match up your sensor exactly; same color spindle, same length spindle AND same circumference. The 93 NXs was manufactured 3 different speed sensors: Long spindle electronic (all electronic), cable driven, & short spindle electronic. IIRC, the spindle colors are: One is light green, one is pinkish, and one is biege plastic. Just match yours by length & size and you should be fine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Didn't know that some NX's had electronic speed sensors.

Are the 93's the only year with the possibility of electronic sensors? What about for the SE-R's, 93 only for them as well I'm guessing?

·
Shift_2.0
2,772 Posts

Pay special attention to match up your sensor exactly; same color spindle, same length spindle AND same circumference. The 93 NXs was manufactured 3 different speed sensors: Long spindle electronic (all electronic), cable driven, & short spindle electronic. IIRC, the spindle colors are: One is light green, one is pinkish, and one is biege plastic. Just match yours by length & size and you should be fine.
Great info...I never new any 93 had cable,nor did I know there was more than one style electronic sensor:confused:
Didn't know that some NX's had electronic speed sensors.

Are the 93's the only year with the possibility of electronic sensors? What about for the SE-R's, 93 only for them as well I'm guessing?
Yes and yes,se-r 93 and up are electronic.

·
NX Cruiser
1,031 Posts
Great info...I never new any 93 had cable,nor did I know there was more than one style electronic sensor:confused:
Yes.. The 93's were the transition year. It had everything..
Some with cables, some with all electronic and different ones between automatics & 5 speeeds..

Heres a picture of two types of 93 speed sensors (but I have found 4 other types for 93s).
Note the different shafts between these two sensors & the different color/size spindles.. Some sensors are longer and some are shorter..
You must match the sensor with one in the tranny AND the clusters must match too (especially for automatics).

Heres a picture of some 94-99 speed sensors with built-in plug (no pigtail & will not work with 93s).
Note Multi color and Multi size with some are straight and some offset.. Some long and some short..
Smorgas board....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i forgot to metion that i had my auto transmission rebuilt, as you know i t was taken off the engine..My question, do you think that when they put the transmission back on something wasn`t hooked up right>>>or maybe they didn`t put back on there tight, like i said it only works at certain speeds...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Do you happen to know the part number from Nissan? I’m planning on going to a dealership to see if they’ve got it, most likely not. It’d just make the process easier

1 - 10 of 10 Posts