SR20 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to know if that spiralmax thing actually works for the sr20 i want to know kause ive been hearing good things about it..but does it actually do anything...if you know anything please help me out.t.hanks

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Ever ridden in a car that had it? EEver seen a dyno test on it? I want to see if any of these people you have "been hearing good things about it" exist and use it in their car.

Sorry, I've been trying to yank your chain and make you think about what it actually does. The website mentions 'maximizes vaporization fo rbetter combustion". This thing has no effect on fuel vaporization. All it does is act as a restriction to your intake path.
It also says "SpiralMax TM, it merely swirls the air into the combustion chamber". It actually swirls air entering the intake manifold, not the combustion chamber. It swirls the air because it acts like a stationary fan (picture a fan in a tube, but the blades don't spin. The air tries to rush into your engine, but these bladdes are in the way). Doesn't sound good for large volumes of air flow, does it?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Crap, all crap. Like the Tornado or what ever it was called. Does nothing but puts a big piece of tin in your air flow to slow it all down. Like the E-Ram or what ever bullcrap. Any performance boost it gives it takes more away than it gives. Not worth time or money

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
bowlcut is right, do not waste your money unless you have seen dyno runs with it off and on (unless you want to be the first, but not me) if you really want to just blow your money, just divide it up and send it to the forum members (or just ben to get it registered) spend your money on a pop charger or hotshot cai the pop charger is about 100 bux and works good, just replaces the airbox with a big filter and an airhorn the hotshot cai is a full intake and runs about 205 bux. or if you wanna get really cheap with one, buy a $25 adapter and get a $30 cone filter and they work really well, but not as good as the pop or the cai. its up to you, buy something that is proven to work, or buy something that people say that works? ever have a friend that says "man, that mustang is fast" and ride in it and think to yourself "fast, my 50 cc moped is faster than this thing" or take a look at it and it is a v6 w/ pipes on it. ever race one of those. I call em' half gears b/c thats all it takes me :)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
sorry I got off subject a little bit, but I tend to get carried away sometimes, like when............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hehhhaha...thanks for your help guys... brian i already have a k&n filter.. but i guess the cold air is better or even the pop charger? which do you suggest. i jus put zex(nitrous oxide) in so we'll see.. i havent got my car back yet but in a couple of days we will see how it is.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well everyone will probaly say the CAI for pure power. But there is always the chance of hydrolocking your car with it. If you live in a rainy part of the country remember that you can take off the bottom part of the CAI and run a "wet" setup where its more like a POP. Many say you will never hydrolock your car but the chance is there. Also the CAI is a little less senstive to weather conditions. The POP is really sensitive to how hot it gets under your hood or the humdity. You can literly feel the difference between a hot afternoon to a cool evening. Jim F. says the ECU helps that alot but I dont see the point of the ECU until I get more mods.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
must be nice to have the ecu avail. :) and you do want to upgrade that drop in k&n before you hit the bottle. the more air, the better. you do not want the engine to lean out. the more air you get across your maf, the more gas will dump in. the less, well, I would not want to test it.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
I was thinking it might actually DEatomize the fule going into the combustion chamber. If it spins it around the heavier particles
(gas)would be pushed out buy centrifugal
force.

Just my $.02
Mike...how about double rifeling the intake runners?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Mike,
I'm sure your more familiar with the fuel injectors than I am because of your DET swap. I thought that the injectors fired pretty close to the valves (ie, after the intake runners, and waayyyyy after the throttle body, and therefore way after the spiral max thing). So (according to my logic) the spiralmax wouldn't affect fuel atomization at all. There would just be less fuel because there is less air going through the maf because of the restriction of the spiralmax.

Jacen
prolonging this thread cuz it could lead to interesting discussions (or arguments, hehehe)

·
_______
3,640 Posts
No arguments here ;) Now that you mention it if its before the TB it wouldn't do much at all but restrict the flow.

What was I thinking?
Mike

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
well guys, I tested one for s&^ts and giggles and I gained 42 hp and 63 ft lbs of torque at the wheels with one. and that is after I put on my stock intake :) the only problem is I make my power at 42k rpms and have to have a dohc vtec sticker on my rear quarter panel :) (I guess I should not make fun of si guys, they are fassssst you know, well, thats what bobby said, you know they guy with the ex w/ exhaust and stickers) :) (deleriously tired and a very dry sense of humor tonight, sorry) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.