SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SR20DE Driver
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK time to replace mine and I don't have alot of money right now. I DO NOT want adjustables cause I don't want to mess with them. I am thinking about going with the KYB GR-2 struts and the Suspension Techniques springs. What do you guys think about that combo??? BTW it is on a NX2000.

Also, do I need to replace the strut mounts when I do it and with a 1.5 drop would the camber adjusters be needed?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Why do you want to replace the springs? If you don't have a lot of money, why not just replace the struts?

The KYB GR2 struts are stock replacement struts and I do not know how well they will work with the ST springs. From what I have heard, they are not valved stiff enough, so the ride will not be all that great and you have a good chance of blowing them on a lowered car.

Where do you live? What are the road conditions like there?

I would suggest that you just get the stiffer KYB AGX struts, even though they are adjustable, and use those with the stock springs. That will be a better combo than the GR2/ST combo. You'll probably save some cash as well.

You don't need to replace the strut mounts and you shouldn't need camber plates for a 1.5" drop. You will need to get an alignment when it's all over, though.

Ben
'93 NX

·
SR20DE Driver
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I want to replace springs and struts is because the car has 118,000 miles on it. The ride is worse than my other car with Eibachs, stock springs and 17" wheels. I also want to lower the car and I will be getting a set of wheels at the same time. TireRack sells those GR-2 struts with the Eibach so thats why I was looking at those.

I don't want adjustable cause like I said I won't be adjusting them. As for the road conditions around here, they are pretty good, with the exception of some potholes here and there. I live in NC by the way.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Springs are fine, shocks are probably shot. GR2s are just fine for stock springs. Got some on my Eclipse and they're still good after 5 years and ~60,000 miles.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
201 Posts
I understand your concern with the adjustability, but I would still go with the AGX struts over the GR-2. As I said before, the GR-2s are stock strut replacements. They will work great in that capacity. The AGX are performance struts. They will do better on a lowered car than the GR-2s.

As far as adjustability goes, a bunch of people have those struts on their car, so you should be able to find what people have been running, set the struts for that and just leave them. Besides, they are REALLY easy to adjust. It's not a huge involved process or anything. Turn a screw in front and a knob on the rears and you're done.

Plus, I don't think the AGX are terribly more expensive. People have been getting them for around $400 per set.

Anyway, that's my suggestion.

Ben
'93 NX

·
SR20DE Driver
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, you are right, a little over $400, the GR-2's are $200. Like I said I am getting springs, wheels, and tires, so the money is limited. Are there any lower priced struts that aren't adjustable for the NX. The "adjustable" part is what makes them cost more. I know Koni makes some non-adjustable lowered springs but I don't believe they make them for the NX.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tunez:
Yeah, you are right, a little over $400, the GR-2's are $200. Like I said I am getting springs, wheels, and tires, so the money is limited. Are there any lower priced struts that aren't adjustable for the NX. The "adjustable" part is what makes them cost more. </font>
You'll be paying about the same anyway, since you'll be replacing the GR-2's more often than if you were to buy AGX's. GR-2's are just as their name applies... GAS REPLACEMENT. They are no better than the OEM struts that came with the car. Take a look at the OEM strut... On the body (in this case for my NX) it says KYB on it. So, essentially, my NX came with GR-2's from the factory (sort of).

Bottom line: You want to lower the car? Get struts that were made for lowering springs (hint: The GR-2's aren't it). Now unless you can't live with the harsh ride of dead struts on lowering springs... NO PROBLEM!

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

G

·
get the agxs. i have them and i dont adjust them. theyll be worth it. do it right the first time. if you have to, wait on the wheels. btw, no one i know of makes true non-adjustable struts for the nx/se-r.

·
SR20DE Driver
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, what is the cheapest price the AGX's can be bought forand from where? And is the any other other spring in the $150 price range??

·
Registered
201 Posts
Try http://www.p-s-t.com I believe they sell them for $389 shipping included. They don't list them on their site, but I know they carry them. The '91 - '93 NX struts are the same as the '91 - '94 sentra SE-R struts. I don't have the part numbers right now and I don't have time to look them up right now.

The only springs avaliable for the NX are the Eibach ProKits (if they still make them) and the Suspension Techniques. The ST springs should be in the $175 range. I got that quote from Stranos, but a lot of people don't like them, so you probably want to find another vendor. I have never personally had a problem with them.

Ben
'93 NX

1 - 10 of 10 Posts