SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was on the Copper Plugs , I changed them out every 2 weeks just to see what was going on in th ecylinder and the copper plugs tend to heat up a little more than platinums , wearing down the electrode. I say buy a box of BKR6E11's (Winter) and BKR7E11's (Summer) and change them out every 2-3 weeks. That may be the problem.

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks 2.00 60' time), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I was on the Copper Plugs , I changed them out every 2 weeks just to see what was going on in the cylinder and the copper plugs tend to heat up a little more than platinums , wearing down the electrode. I say buy a box of BKR6E11's (Winter) and BKR7E11's (Summer) and change them out every 2-3 weeks. That may be the problem.

------------------
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks 2.00 60' time), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I also forgot. Keep them at .028-.030" gap. That shold be sufficient. What plugs are you running right now?

------------------

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I am running the non-plats one heat range colder than stock (can't remember the number at the moment) with the extended tip. </font>
Dude... like, read and stuff

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does that mean you have BKR6E11's or BKR7E11's? Maybe you should clarify what you are writing. I am trying to help YOU! If you "cant remember the number at the moment", then I suggest you find out!

------------------

[This message has been edited by APEXSER (edited 02-27-2001).]

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
See if ya'll agree with my proposed solution to this:

When the coolant guage isn't all the way up to where it's supposed to be, the car sputters a little bit around 0-1psi of boost. It's noticeable, but not violent or anything. I am running the non-plats one heat range colder than stock (can't remember the number at the moment) with the extended tip. I have 54k on the car with the stock distributor cap and rotor.

My proposed solution is to get a set of the non-extended tip non-plats in the same heat range, and also replace my distributor cap and rotor (OEM Nissan) since it's probably about time to do that.

That sound good?

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can change the cap and rotor, but it might just be that the BKR6E11's (or BKR7E11's) need to warm up a little more since they are a colder plug than stock. What er the plugs gapped at? How old are they?

------------------

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I think they are 0.028-0.030 and they are about 3 months old.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Well I thought the stock plug heat range was pretty well known, just that I'm a monkey and could never remember. Let me look them up on SE-R.net or something...

I think PFR7B-11 is stock, so I must be running BKR6E-11

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Actually bud, the 5's are stock and the higher number (6, 7) are colder plugs. That's why Louis runs 6's in the winter and 7's in the summer (warmer in a colder temp and colder in a warmer temp). Seeing that you're in the snow, I'm guessing you're probably running the 6's.

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
See, told ya'll I was a sparkplug heat range number monkey

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
See if ya'll agree with my proposed solution to this:

When the coolant guage isn't all the way up to where it's supposed to be, the car sputters a little bit around 0-1psi of boost. It's noticeable, but not violent or anything. I am running the non-plats one heat range colder than stock (can't remember the number at the moment) with the extended tip. I have 54k on the car with the stock distributor cap and rotor.

My proposed solution is to get a set of the non-extended tip non-plats in the same heat range, and also replace my distributor cap and rotor (OEM Nissan) since it's probably about time to do that.

That sound good?

</font>
Seems I have the same problem with no solution as of yet. When the temp gauge is coming up in transition the car runs like crap.

I think it may be something with the way JWT sets up the program and only those of us int he colder climates experience it. I have no basis for this thought, but it seems to be the only thing left. I have been through everything on the car. I mean everything...two or three times.

I hope to get Mikes bag of trick on it at the convention to figure out what the heck is going on.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Strangely enough it did NONE of this tonight. I rented a full sized-truck to help me move some furniture today and picked up my car at like 7:30PM tonight. I never felt the sputtering all the way home. Hmmmm.. it's 25 degrees right now, the coldest it's been in several days... humidity is 69%, barometer 30.11 and falling... I dunno

I need to do that above stuff anyways, so we'll see how it goes. I won't get my hopes up though.

It doesn't run like crap during that time if I give it some decent throttle though, only if I baby it. Does that also match your experience, Jay?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
nissan part # for the non platinum colder plugs are the 22401-20j06 and the colder plugs are a 22401-20j07. I use the 20j06 on mine for the nos, and change em out alot. under $2 a piece too.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
It doesn't run like crap during that time if I give it some decent throttle though, only if I baby it. Does that also match your experience, Jay?</font>
Yup, part throttle drivability troubles in warm up transition. It feels like having an accelerator pump bad on a carburator. For you young guys that means when you step into the throttle the car kinda falls on it's face and stumbles bit.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I remember Bowlcut said his car did that with the timing at 15 degrees. Mine is at ~14. Maybe I should up it 1-2 degrees and test it?

Will have to wait and do it again. Last 2 hours it hasn't done it for some strange reason

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea my timing was way low. But I just kinda assumed a few things. I read on 240sx.org i think that their ecu takes timing out when you go to full throtle then feeds it back in. So I doubt that is totaly your problem. Since you are not flooring it just going to part throtle. Timing could be a bit of it but I doubt that is the full problem.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
I had the same problem when I put the DET in after hunting throught it all, it turned out to be the plugs and the TPS.... the voltage change was erratic as I tested it from closed to WOT.. together they fixed the problem... I think I have an extra TPS if you want to try it?

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Ben did you disconnect that plug by your gas tank? If you did you need to reset your TPS. Mine was way out of wack after I unpluged my it..Whatever the hell it was.

Mike

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I did that. It was actually pretty close. I did the "boost sensor" up on the firewall to. Solved the weird idle ****.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts