SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that spring is here, I have started leaving my windows down, and I have been reminded of a sound under WOT with my '91 that I had forgotten about since last fall.

It's a very high pitched squeal under WOT, or near WOT, starting from about 3k rpms until about 5-6k rpms (could be higher but the engine drowns it out after that...). Imagine a fast-spinning metal disk being applied with light pressure to a metal plate and that's what it sounds like. It doesn't mean that what it is, though...

It only happens under load (i.e. can't replicate it just pulling the throttle cable in neutral, etc...) and it doesn't seem to be affecting power. It's been going on since I bought the car late last summer.

Where do I start to troubleshoot this? Any ideas? TIA!!

Andy
'91 Black SE-R
'00 Black GS-R
Powered by my right foot.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Belt? or maybe the alternator going out...I remember Fancher talking about such a squeel on his when the alternator was going bad.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a possiblity; they all look good though. It doesn't sound like a belt slipping and it's related to engine load not just engine speed since I can't replicate it in neutral...

Checked the alternator about 6 months ago and the sound has been going on for at least that long. If that was it, I would have thought the alternator would have died by now. Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming!

Andy

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
from the engine? it may be a wheel bearing, dust shield, ect, something rubbing or wearing down...

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

G

·
0 Posts
take off your valve cover and check your oil gallies!!! there are two tubes running the length over each cam, take them off and clean them. it might not be squirting oil on each lobe.......each lobe has 2 holes above it from the oil tubes.......make sure they are not plug as they are only pin holes..........

might not be getting enough oil on each lobe

???????????????????

maybe, who knows

good luck

IGGY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts