SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SouthPaw
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this past weekend I removed my A/C compressor, condensor, high pressure, and low pressure lines. I replaced the belt running from crank to compressor to alternator with a new belt that runs from crank to alternator now that the compressor is no longer there. Originally I was using a 6 rib belt, the new belt is a 4 rib belt. My problem is that at the start up of my NX a large squeal is made until I rev the engine above 1500 rpms. Also when rpms drop below 1000 it makes an audible noise if my lights are on. How should I adjust the alternator or belt to stop this god awful noise? I'm not putting the AC stuff back.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I always thought that belts squeel when they're loose. Might want to try to tighen up the belt. I'm curious about the difference about the 4rib vs 6rib

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
I have done the same thing, and I use a 4 rib belt as well. Just tighten up the belt by adjusting the alternator, maybe use some loctite so the bolts dont come loose, thats what I had to do. and make sure all the alternator bolts are tight, not just the ones that adjust the belt tension.

·
SouthPaw
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I needed was a quick adjustment of the alternator to tighten the belt and it wsa fixed, total elapsed garage time was about 8 minutes. Thanks guys, I prolly would have been ridin around for a while with an annoying squeal if yall hadnt helped out. Cuz at first i thought it was cuz I cut into the harness near my condensor which is also near the lights, but it was simpler than that. Thanks everyone!

·
SouthPaw
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i couldnt get the plug off so i just cut it. it wasnt going to do anything after the condenser was removed so i cut it. Car is running fine now

·
Sportbike fevah
1,003 Posts
neonphire8604 said:
yeah, it should be fine. i generally dont cut wires though...
Yeah, I don't cut wires, either. I figure out how to
properly disconnect harness connectors :tongue:.

;)

By the way, I have to say, that's one of the
sexiest SE-R's I've ever seen. If *only* I had
a ride with a paint job anywhere near that.

Even if it's not purple.

;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts