SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets hear you feelings. DONT HOLD BACK! I need to figure which one to get. I dont wanna hear any RB stuff.

·
Registered
288 Posts
well, basically, 13 year old engine vs 6 year old engine....iron block vs. aluminum block....aftermarket parts vs. no aftermarket parts.... IMHO the sr is a far more versitile engine, and the chances of getting one in great condition is far better than getting a ca in great condition..and you can hope for more power out of the box...plus a lot more parts interchangability with the usdm sr20de.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Amen brother. Down with RBs!

Actually buy more RBs. That will make SR20s less popular and therefore less expensive.

And now on topic - I'm going with the SR. My power goals are a bit higher than the CA can comfortably deal with - I've read that the CA starts stretching head bolts around 350 at the crank (I think) and I'm shooting for 300-320 at the wheels. You can pretty easily order things from some older Pulsars for the CA, but that brings me to my biggest concern; the last CA car (I think) was an 89 model year, and Nissan dealers aren't going to keep parts around forever for cars that are 15 years old. The SR has nearly all the parts available from cars built only a few years ago.

On the other hand the CA will cost quite a bit less to start with, and if you're not going for big numbers it works well. There's a big article in SCC from some months ago about the various options for turboing a 240. I can't find it online (just looked on SCC website for 10 minutes) but it's in the September '03 issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
NismoB13SE-R said:
well, basically, 13 year old engine vs 6 year old engine....iron block vs. aluminum block....aftermarket parts vs. no aftermarket parts.... IMHO the sr is a far more versitile engine, and the chances of getting one in great condition is far better than getting a ca in great condition..and you can hope for more power out of the box...plus a lot more parts interchangability with the usdm sr20de.
^^what he said^^
i had to make this choice about a month ago also. i went with the SR20 for alot of the same reasons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe the SR20 forum was the wrong place to ask such a question...LOL

BTW Shoes59 thanks for the spindles!

·
NISSAN ADDICT
3,066 Posts
the never ending argument...

CA is a good motor but so is the SR.

i like both motors but i sold my SIL-80(CA) and bought my S-14(SR).

there is good and bad things to both motors,

The CA is 1.8 and the SR is 2.0 start with more and you have more potential. My CA loved to overheat thats my only problem with it.

i am glad i have a SR20 now but would not be mad if i had a CA.

·
Registered
348 Posts
CA blows Hard ass according to Yashio Factory Oka-chan himself. He said that the Iron Block was a positive due to durability, but at the same time was a hinderance when It came to machineing because of stress fractures. Also the CA does not have an efficient headflow design. The CA will spool higher than the SR, but the power developed is less. I just love my SR21DET ehhe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts