SR20 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering the other day while arguing with some guys I know about if an SR20 engine is the fastest 4 cylinder N/A non-variable valve timing engine out there. With upgrades of course such as all bolt ons and higher compression. I know that a total rebuild can produce somewhere up over 200whp with SR20s and I haven't seen this done without some sort of variable valve timing on other engines....any ideas?

·
Registered
230 Posts
As far as i know... quickest all motor SE-R is still Brett Ezelle... 13.95? that was a long time ago tho...

next is Jay Hassinger w/ just bolt ons, s3's and slicks...

those are the quickest...

the FASTEST all motor is Mike Kojima w/ his monster motor... 14.9 at 98mph!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No no no....it's alright I guess I didn't say it the way I wanted to. I know how fast some N/A SR20s are and all that, but I was wondering if any other car out there has a 4 cylinder engine that could be modded to make more horsepower than a modded SR20. The catch is that the other engines almost always have some sort of variable valve timing or obviously turbo. Any engines out there that could put 200whp+ down N/A like an SR20 can? Anyone?

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
What I think NEX is asking is what 4 cylinder N/A non-variable cam timing makes as much power as the SR20. Any 4 cylinder 'could' be built to put down that kind of numbers. I think the Neon motors do well with bolt-ons. The GM Quad-4s make more power from the factory, some make like 180hp I think. But I don't know of much after-market for those besides RK sport. What makes the SR20 near top of the pile IMO, is the bottom end. I personally have had as much as 150hp NOS on 2 seperate SR20s with well over 100K on the tickers with NO problems. That's double the factory HP rating and it holds together, and that's not counting those sick HP numbers those turbo guys get out of stock bottom end SRs. I can only image how 'bad' these cars would be if Nissan would have put the SR20VE into the B series chassis. I mean 50 more hp from the get go, it would be like having an SR20DE with all the bolt ons from the factory. Anyways just my $.02

·
Registered
486 Posts
i know some of the honda, non vtec, engines can put down down upwards of 220whp, or maybe they are vtec eh i duno

·
0 Posts
Maybe the 16v volkswagen engines out of the old GTI. But, having owned volkswagens and two integras I think the sr20 has some major balls. I can't think of any other four cylinder I would want to own short of a DET.

·
8,148 Posts
Nexidus, where have you been for the last year? If it is HP, then look no further than the Nissan Dealer. Can we spell QR25?
As far as traps some B16's are very fast non V-Tec (SOHC 1.6, 88-91) Civics. As far as bolt on cars are concerned, I don't realy know which can be the fastest w/o VTEC OR VVT. Maybe the Neon. SR20's take a good driver to overcome wheelspin out the hole.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nexidus said:
I was wondering the other day while arguing with some guys I know about if an SR20 engine is the fastest 4 cylinder N/A non-variable valve timing engine out there. With upgrades of course such as all bolt ons and higher compression. I know that a total rebuild can produce somewhere up over 200whp with SR20s and I haven't seen this done without some sort of variable valve timing on other engines....any ideas?
Andreas Miko is building a N/A engine which will be running no slower then a 13.3 in the quarter. I can't wait until he is done with his car, it's going to be sweet. :D

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Lets not forget the old 2300 Ford engine (2.3). these engines are easy to put down 250hp NA. My uncle used to have one in a mustang and ran it at a local track. The Toyota 2200R is also a big hp motor. Chevrolet also has a very strong 4 cyl. All these engines can be found at your local race track on sat. nites. Nascar Daytona Dash series also uses these engines and I would bet they are pushing 300hp if not more. All of which are NA, and in rwd cars.

Darren

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
here is the 300HP SR20DE that Se-Racer mentioned, this was photo was taken off of se-r.net and it said a little blip about it but nothing of detail there other than its essentially the turbo SR20DET from the GTi-R transformed into a normally aspirated engine.

·
Registered
858 Posts
ah drooooool.:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi guys im not sure but i think my na sr20 maybe the tuffest in oz well thats what were hoping after what ive spent on the sucker anyone better 300hp and think has more in it yet! final figure soon from final dyno with some sorting and looking not sure what she will run yet but the experts say anywhere from11s to 12s pending how good the m4 pro works on hooking it up il have pics soon and details brief run down is 5axis cnc full port on the head plus pistons cnc to suit chamber 13:1 compression quad injection, titanium rods , solid lifters ,new sump, lighten fly wheel crank etc. resin filled block , xforce stainless headers , trying a few cams but need big ones hehe as well as valves etc the aim was to make fastest and most horse power for na sr20 in oz i hope we achieve it

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi guys im not sure but i think my na sr20 maybe the tuffest in oz well thats what were hoping after what ive spent on the sucker anyone better 300hp and think has more in it yet! final figure soon from final dyno with some sorting and looking not sure what she will run yet but the experts say anywhere from11s to 12s pending how good the m4 pro works on hooking it up il have pics soon and details brief run down is 5axis cnc full port on the head plus pistons cnc to suit chamber 13:1 compression quad injection, titanium rods , solid lifters ,new sump, lighten fly wheel crank etc. resin filled block , xforce stainless headers , trying a few cams but need big ones hehe as well as valves etc the aim was to make fastest and most horse power for na sr20 in oz i hope we achieve it

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
holy freaking 5 year bump!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.