SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SR20DE 5 Speed CLUTCH Went Out! HELP! IS "PRO Clutches" Good??

My clutch went out on my Nissan NX2000. I was driving about 75 MPH when the car slowed down (In GEAR) and the engine was reving up when I gave it gas. Then I head a "Crunch" and "Grinding" like the teeth on the flywheel we rubbing on something.

Now when I even push my car in makes that grinding niose out of gear. When I start the car it runs fine but when I get it into gear the car bogs down and doesn't move, then it will die. Can the clutch completely brake apart?? Will it do this if the clutch cable brakes???

I am going to by a Stage 3 Pro Clutch on ebay, is this a good clutch to go with? SR20 pros let me know! :)

Pro Clutch on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33730&item=2469679934

Thanks!

Nathan Klein

·
Registered
310 Posts
It coule be something internal in the tranny... what type of clutch were you using before?

You should take out the tranny before you start buying parts to find out what exactly is wrong with it.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How hard would it be to pull the tranny. Will it pull down to replace the clutch? I'm almost positive its the clutch. Its the Original Clutch and the car has 112,000 miles on it and teenagers owned it before so I imagin the poped the clutch a few times.

When changing the clutch what do I do? Pull the engine or pull the tranny down? I want to do the easiest quickest ways and since you all have experience with these engines please let me know.

My Car infor:

1993 Nissan NX2000
SR20DE Engine with 5 Speed Tranny

Thanks!

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
i wouldn't mess with it if you don't know how, no offence but it's not something you want to learn on.
unless you have a second vehicle and lots of time

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Creagach said:
i wouldn't mess with it if you don't know how, no offence but it's not something you want to learn on.

Well I just pulled the engine on my NX1600 so I guess you could say I have gone through the entire engine compartment labeling every damn thing. It Automatic though. Theres no way I would let any mechanic work on my car around here there all Hill Billy's with a Dirt floor garages! :) I would rather do it myself so I can learn that way I save lots of money. I just need a little advice on the easiest way to change the clutch. I have all the time in the world and I do have a third running vehicle (my mini van). :) Let me know how to get that clutch in and I bet I can have it down with no troubles. I label all hoses, wires and there destinations. No offence taken I know what you mean, these engines are complicated.

·
SR powered
341 Posts
I didn't do it myself, but I helped my mechanic change the clutch in my sentra. This is what we did: Jack up the front of the car (way up), remove the driver's side wheel and get the rotor out of the way,remove the crossmember (use a jack to support the engine from underneath), take out the battery and intake to make room, disconnect the clutch cable, unbolt motor and tranny mounts, unbolt tranny from engine,drop the tranny out using a jack, change the disc, pressure plate an bearing, then put everything back together. Oh, and I think we had to move the starter. And add some Redline gear oil.
I don't want to be pessimistic, but it could be your tranny.

·
Undecided
4,132 Posts
Creagach said:
If you have a garage to work in and another car to drive then Buy a Factory service manual and get to work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good SO I dont' have to pull the engine out just take the wheel/hub assy off and unbolt the tranny from the engine and she should drop out fine. As long as I don't have to pull the sr20 I'll be fine. Thanks for all the help.

Oh and if it is the clutch is Pro Clutch a good brand and reliable, see the link above, thats the one I am talking about.

Nathan Klein

·
Owned by Maximas!
4,064 Posts
i have not heard of the 'pro clutch' but there is a really good deal on the clutchnets in the group buy forums ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
yeah i saw the pro clutches too, will hold 220hp for $185, thats alot cheaper than the clutchnet group buy, if i was making enough power i'd think about the clutchnet, but i think the proclutch will do me fine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts