SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to share what I've learned about this scam, to help you all avoid getting taken. First, many thanks to Andreas Miko, a forum member for most of this info. Thanks also to Todd C. (his topic "Pics of My New Engine" Toddles82 - 8/12/2001 02:18PM started it all for me)and Ben Davis who helped, and several others who offered suggestions & encouragement. To recap I was taken in a scam whereby a 1.8 liter SR18DE (not available in US as OE) was substituted for the SR20DE, I thought I was getting. 3 ways to tell the difference:
1) Hard but foolproof way - open the engine up and measure the crank throw / connecting rod length. All SR engines (there are at least 3: SR16, SR18, SR20) have same bore, but different stroke, so needless to say, crank throws & connecting rods are shorter, Valves are also smaller on the SR18 than the SR20.

2) Easiest way (unless it's altered as mine was) - Check the engine model stamped into the pad on the front side of block near the #4 cylinder. It should read SR20. If it reads anything else - beware. Mine had last 2 characters ground off, another example had RRRR stamped. An enterprising criminal could grind off all characters and re-stamp SR20, so watch that.

3) Almost certain way - Look for code cast into the Head in half inch high, raised letters, below and to side of distributor. It's fairly easy to spot (on my motor, at least) by sighting between the distributor and the coil. 64J = SR18DE low-port motor. 58Y = SR18DE high-port motor. I'll try to get codes for SR20 & SR16. I think it would be pretty difficult to alter these cast in codes, so this is probably best way to tell.

I'm told it's a pretty common scam -- I've become aware of 3 cases, without even trying. So beware, don't let those B#$%@&ds get you! (or mess things up for the honest engine importers).

Alan
94 Classic SE-R(18DE)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Look at the exhaust header too. It will be a 4-Cat-1 if it's a 1.8 liter. It should be a 4-2 header if it's a 2.0 liter.

That's a 1.8 liter header.
------------------
1995 200SX SE-R

Hydrolocked SR20DE that had PR CAI | ACT Disc & PP | ES MM | Pro-Kits |
17* timing | Courtesy Front STB | Courtesy B-pipe in garage | AGX's in garage

[This message has been edited by Toddles82 (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think its more of a mistake rather than a scam. The majority of this board didnt know what that engine was that toddles posted. How is the average reseller gonna know?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not looking to argue, but I figure if somebody grinds off the engine code, it's not just an honest mistake.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
I think its more of a mistake rather than a scam. The majority of this board didnt know what that engine was that toddles posted. How is the average reseller gonna know?</font>

·
Registered
756 Posts
In toddles case, nothing was ground off to my knowledge.

When I helping him out with trying to find info on the SR18, every site that had the SR20DE and the SR18DE for sale, were changing the exact same price.

[This message has been edited by WhiteSER (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
For all who want to know here are all the heads that u will encounter. Not including the VVL motors and Roller rocker motors. I will include the rest when I get some more time.
58Y SR18DE JDM highport.
64J SR18DE JDM lowport.
94Y SR20DE US lowport.
53J SR20DE US highport.
89J SR20DE UK lowport.
96J SR20DE UK highport.
53C SR20DE JDM Pulsar GTIR.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's very interesting. I'm wondering why would anybody pay as much for an SR18 as an SR20, why would anyone even want an SR18, and why would importers even list an engine that's less powerful, was never offered OE, and almost nobody's ever heard of? Beats me. Todd's engine had RRRR stamped where SR20 should go, I assumed it was altered, but who knows. Andreas Miko said "this a trick that a lot of importers are doing to make a larger profit because SR18DE motors are not wanted so they get them for 1/2 the price of SR20DE If they erased the # after the SR stamp then there is the bullshit right there."
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
In toddles case, nothing was ground off to my knowledge.

When I helping him out with trying to find info on the SR18, every site that had the SR20DE and the SR18DE for sale, were changing the exact same price.

[This message has been edited by WhiteSER (edited 08-16-2001).]
</font>

·
Registered
420 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andreas Miko:
For all who want to know here are all the heads that u will encounter. Not including the VVL motors and Roller rocker motors. I will include the rest when I get some more time.
58Y SR18DE JDM highport.
64J SR18DE JDM lowport.
94Y SR20DE US lowport.
53J SR20DE US highport.
89J SR20DE UK lowport.
96J SR20DE UK highport.
</font>
Andreas, something is not adding up. My old engine head code is 94Y, now the new engine (which is a different port) is a 53J. According to your information they are both US motor.....confused....

[This message has been edited by Toddles82 (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
58Y SR18DE JDM highport.
64J SR18DE JDM lowport.
94Y SR20DE US lowport.
53J SR20DE US highport.
89J SR20DE UK lowport.
96J SR20DE UK highport.
</font>
Something is Deffinatly not adding up, my new engine which is 53J is a JDM engine, clearly..to be more specific it is a Primera engine. The engine has a completly diferent Header, and the intake manifold did not have the whole for the EGR (Which All US SR20's Have) and the valve cover is gold, typically found on the Primera engine....is it possible that you have you JDM and US mixed around?

------------------
- Dennis
http://www.geocities.com/sr20deswap/
-91 Classic w/ Priemra Swap
Aim: avurX

[This message has been edited by xTurbo Classicx (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Just an FYI on Forum use, when you edit a post, there is a check box that says delete posts.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Unfortunatly, that option is only available for Administrators, it seems. I've tried using the Delete Post option many times, to no avail. The following error message occurs: "Sorry, but only forum leaders are permitted to delete posts." On other message boards, the Delete Post option is available for all registered users.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:
Just an FYI on Forum use, when you edit a post, there is a check box that says delete posts.</font>
------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Performance Exhaust
Hotshot Racing Header
Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
My bad, I only read the first line. Sorry guys, carry on.

·
Registered
415 Posts
No problem.
Do you think it would be possible to have that changed, so everyone was able to delete their own posts if they wanted to? That'd be a nice feature to have. I believe FreshAlloy.com has their board set up that way. Thanks.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:
My bad, I only read the first line. Sorry guys, carry on.</font>
------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake
STILLEN Performance Exhaust
Hotshot Racing Header
Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
SORRY GUYS THE 53J IS US AND JDM.

This head 53J will be found on all highport motors US, JDM and Blue Bird Turbo motors. The BB motor being diffrent with SODIUM filled valves that have a 7mm stem verses a non turbo head that has a standard 6mm valve stem.

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
SORRY GUYS THE 53J IS US AND JDM.

This head 53J will be found on all highport motors US, JDM and Blue Bird Turbo motors. The BB motor being diffrent with SODIUM filled valves that have a 7mm stem verses a non turbo head that has a standard 6mm valve stem.
</font>
Thanks for clearifying that, cause i was running a muck trying to figure out why the hell soko sent me a US engine! Few, i do have a Primera JDM hi compression engine.

------------------
- Dennis
http://www.geocities.com/sr20deswap/
-91 Classic w/ Priemra Swap
Aim: avurX

·
Registered
782 Posts
Do you mind sharing with us who sold you the motor. Hopefully it will prevent people from buying motor from them again.

------------------
http://members8.clubphoto.com/louis419830/439477/guest.phtml

Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
349.6 hp & 301.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 12.0 @ 118.77, Bluebird SR20DET, T3/T04E, Deltagate Wastegate, FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, Autometer Shift Light, Fiber Images Carbon Fiber Hood, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Yokohama 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24.5x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

G

·
hey all, i lived in japan for a couple of years. in japan, the sr18 actually puts out more hp than us spec sr20's. the only reason no one wants them is because low torque is directly proportional to the amount of displacement. We in the states are so caught up in trying to get the most power from the lightest engine that we are missing so good motors that we have. but i am one of those peeps too, oh well

1 - 20 of 20 Posts