SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does these engine have a code that tells what kind of DE or DET engine it is?

Because I'm planing to get my car approved with a SR20DE+T engine, I have received a paper from Nissan that states my car will handle the power from a SR20DET engine but I don't really have a DET I have a DE+T so thats why I want to know if they can see it's a DE with turbo or if I can tell them it's a DET like it says on the paper from Nissan??

Bye the way what's the differens between a BB DET (lowport) and a DE (lowport) is it only the turbo and ECU thats different?

·
Monkey Power
1,105 Posts
S14R said:
Hi,

Does these engine have a code that tells what kind of DE or DET engine it is?

Because I'm planing to get my car approved with a SR20DE+T engine, I have received a paper from Nissan that states my car will handle the power from a SR20DET engine but I don't really have a DET I have a DE+T so thats why I want to know if they can see it's a DE with turbo or if I can tell them it's a DET like it says on the paper from Nissan??

Bye the way what's the differens between a BB DET (lowport) and a DE (lowport) is it only the turbo and ECU thats different?

the bb motor has sodium filled valves and oil pistion squirters. the block also has a different code than the de. the head will also have a different code and the oil pans are different. this thread will answer most of your questions.

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=44459

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 10:1 engine so it also has sodium filled valves..
Ok, but what I'm asking about is how they will see that I don't have a real DET?
I can say that I have converterd by DE to a DET with pistons, rods and oil squirters
but kept the head..
Wheres the code on the block?

I'll take a look in that link and see what I can find, thanks..

·
Monkey Power
1,105 Posts
S14R said:
I have 10:1 engine so it also has sodium filled valves..
Ok, but what I'm asking about is how they will see that I don't have a real DET?
I can say that I have converterd by DE to a DET with pistons, rods and oil squirters
but kept the head..
Wheres the code on the block?

I'll take a look in that link and see what I can find, thanks..
the code is on the front of the block and on the bellhousing. I believe the one on the front would be covered up by the exhaust mainfold. It would be hard to tell unless they were a nissan geek.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks... they are not specialiced on Nissans probably it will be pretty easy to get approved, but I'm thinking of restamping the block with a DET code to be on the safe side..

·
Monkey Power
1,105 Posts
S14R said:
thanks... they are not specialiced on Nissans probably it will be pretty easy to get approved, but I'm thinking of restamping the block with a DET code to be on the safe side..

the number is cast into the mold for the block so you would have to grind it off(raised lettering). No restamping would work. I am pretty sure you would not be able to see the markings with a turbo on since its located under a protrusion on the block to the right of the coolant drain plug and below a freeze plug.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"I am pretty sure you would not be able to see the markings with a turbo on"

That sounds nice, I hope it's so =)

Can anyone give me a BB DET engine code that I can give them, I'll thell them that it's the number on my engine.. any DET with 200HP engine code will do, because on my papers from Nissan says I have a SR20DET with 147kw = approx 200hp.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a bout a complete engine code? does these engines only have a 3 letter code on the block and 3 letter on the head?
I had a Saab turbo and the engine code was like 10-12 letters..

·
Monkey Power
1,105 Posts
S14R said:
What a bout a complete engine code? does these engines only have a 3 letter code on the block and 3 letter on the head?
I had a Saab turbo and the engine code was like 10-12 letters..
you just have the head and block code. most people refer to the motor by what chasis it came from. Bluebirds are u12 and u13. avenier motors are w10 and w11. the gtir pulsar is a rnn-14.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
now i have found out what the law/rules says, and I have to have a turbo engine from a car modell that have been or is still sold in Sweden, so the only one is the Silvia/200SX S14 SR20DET engine , so that engine code is what I need

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I found the code on my engine and it's possible to see it with the engine in the car the number is on the bell housing behind and little right from the turbo/downpipe there you can see a flatt surface and on it it has light digits.

My says SR20 followed by 6 numbers and a W

So now I wonder if this code tells what kind of engine it is or is it simply just a number?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts