SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of or has anyone heard of someone putting a blower on an SR20? I thought I remember someone in Australia doing once, but I don't remember where I read that.
Any links or thoughts would be appreciated...

Be Safe,
ryan

·
Registered
194 Posts
Finally found it. I've had it printed out for like a year but couldn't find where I put it. Anyways the guy supercharged his
S13 with a Whipple 1600 lysholm supercharger and of course you have to get a custom manifold. He was running 13.5lbs of boost and hitting low 12's. Anyways heres the site dunno if its still works though

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~toptron/carclub/nissan.html

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mel,
Not sure if that's the one I'd seen before, but it helps nonetheless. Why hasn't anyone else done this? $$$$? I'd think that becaus of the SR20's popularity, someone would have jumped on this, assuming all the belts reach the right places and what not. Anyway, this would be great for road courses and autocross instead of having to deal with the damn turbo lag.

Thanks again,
ryan

G

·
0 Posts
I saw on a website that the 2001 or 2002 Nissan "SE-R" will have a supercharger. Makes sense sort of, due to the fact that Nissan now has a supercharger for its trucks.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Amazing how after one simple product everyone goes nuts for it. Jackson Racing decides to tap the import market and hits the Civic now everyone wants a supercharger. IMHO its not worth it. Why? Because for the similar ammount of money you can get more HP and Toruqe out of a Turbo. I think the one benifit of the super is its ability to make torque downlow. We have that in our engine so extra wouldnt make that much of a difference. The Civics and such b16 and b18 motors have little torque anywhere. The parasystic loses on the supper in the lower range is kinda its draw back. Not being able to use an intercooler on most of them (cheap ones anyway) the whipple and roots style atleast. Yes dragsters use blowers but thats old school. Lots of them are going to turbos now. Driveability on a super to a turbo is almost nill. Well i would say less driveability to the super cause in around town driving you have nothing but a big pull on your engine, never able to get into boost really. On the turbo you dont hardly notice any losses just gains, properly sized turbo assuming. Ive been in a few JRSC civics and seen a few race. they are slow and a pain to drive around town since they have nothing below vtec for hummph they are a real pain on a b16. on a sr20 that may not be a problem but i still say go small turbo then. like the jwt setup, small turbo stock manifold, no IC 60hp real easy but expensive but you get the same performance you would see from the JRSC kit at about the same price but you get the JWT ECU. Custom built you can go cheaper and make more HP or more expensive and more HP. Driveability is all up to how wild you go with a turbo.

Making a "vortec" style blower wouldnt be that hard I would think. Just take off like the A/C compressor and mount it there and run it through an IC then to the TB. Put the intake either in the fender where a CAI would go but on the other side of the car or up in the engine bay. A roots style would be the hard one either you would have to use a bar across the front of the engine like some of the honda stuff or a really tight packed system all custom made.

Im looking to see what this Hydrocharger can do. That looks cool. Small compact and less heat transfer. Just intercool it and that could be fun

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm actually kinda iffy on Superchargers too. One of the guys in our crew has a Jackson on his EX and his car can barely
dip into the high 14's when he's getting a decent launch (measured with a G-Tech) He's not consistently spanking SI's with his car either. And its not totally because of driver error either. He also has CAI/H/E along with the Supercharger so I dunno.

Mel

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I remember some very loooong posts on the SE-R.NET on the SC vs tubo. IIRC,Mike Kojima squashed it all by daring ANYONE to build a SC powered SR20DE that could put out more HP/Torque than a turbo SR20DE set up that he'd design. I think he said he'd give up 1K if anyone could beat him.
So far no takers.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea forgot about that. Here in TN, most of it anyways, anything goes so no CARB needed. If you own a honda a JRSC is probaly the simple legal way to go. But out side of that I dont know about them on an import. One thing I would like would be a electric clutch like the a/c compressor uses so you can switch it on or off but that would be hard to plumb.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
out of curiosity, does CARB apply to any other states? I mean it literally stands for California Air Resource Board... but I would imagine that since we have the toughest emissions standards that anything CARB approved would fly everywhere else...

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
No dont think so. But places do have emissions i dont know how you get around them with modded cars other than the illegal ways.

G

·
0 Posts
Ok guys. Here's how this works. Superchargers are good. Turbos are better. A really good supercharger is about as good as an ok turbo. It comes down to compressor effieciency, and superchargers just aren't that efficient which means they create more heat in the intake charge and they are more often not intercooled so that makes them worse.

Now it really depends on what you are looking for. If I owned a Honda, I might consider the JRSC because it's CARB approved and makes decent power. Now if you know you'll want more power (and many people do) than a turbo is the way to go.

Ryan
95 200SX SE-R Turbo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Magnuson, a branch of Eaton sells 3rd and 4th generation SC's that have a type of cutoff to reduce SC drag under part throttle conditions. Some other SC site said they had a cutout for IDLE AND part throttle conditions. I agree turbo's are better if your goal is max HP, but if done right an SC appears to be able to give a nice little bump in HP with what appears to be less complication of install. I like turbo's, but not all the plumbing needed. Also, I'm not trying to make my car into a dragstrip terror or street racer. I just want to get some extra ponies without using nitrous or doing surgery on the engine. I've looked at all the possibilities for parts upgrades and for the money and simplicity (if my blossoming design works out), the SC fits my needs best. If JWT had the 2000 Sentra turbo kit ready I might be less willing to put together an SC, but it's a moot point.
BTW, what this "Hydrocharger" that was mentioned?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Goto gr8ride.com and do a search on it. It was in SCC a while back. Garret(IIRC) is doing this. Its a small little device like the size of your battery, it runs off hydrolic fluid. you put in a pump like a super but less drag it pumps the fluid like a powersteering pump, blows it on this small(like quarter sized) turbine. Its basicly a turbo/super combo. Runs of engine pullies sorta, but blows a turbine connected to a compressor side like a turbo. No heat build up, extremely effiecent, always on like a super, and peaky like a turbo. Cool idea

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Why do people say all the plumbing involved? There is no more plumbing needed for a turbo as to a super. A vortec style atleast. As of right now we dont have the option for a roots style bolt on blower so if you do superchare you have to plumb just as much. The low boost turbo only requires the replacement of the headers. That low (6 psi) turbo is all that I would even think about. Having an automatic and no want to run the 1/4 mile that would do me just fine. Then its so easy to go bigger if i wanted to. Just remove the turbo and go bigger with an Intercooler. With the super you MUST have a header or you are doing nothing so thats the same there. You would probaly have to change injectors, the JWT turbo goes with the stock injectors(right on the limits of them tho). I just think the turbo is a better route. And the low pressure turbo and properly sized trubo you dont have to worrie about lag its always there pretty much. Oh well this is all opinions. Like I always say "opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one and they all stink"

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like AZ 2K SE I'm not looking for a 1/4 mile beast. I'd be nice to turn 10 sec E.T.s, but in the first post I only mentioned AutoX and Road Courses. I drive in the mountains everyday for work and while I love trail-braking a corner, I have no desire to fall in and out of boost while trying to keep traction with turbo. So a blower seems like a better way to go (if it can be done). A low boost turbo could also be effective, I guess, but I too hate all the plumbing involved. I may have no choice though.
Thanks to everyone for the imput
ryan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually, the design I'm attempting to work out is a roots type, if I have my SC designs straight. The 3rd or 4th generation eaton SC appears to be small enought to fit where it's needed. If this all works out I'll be able to keep almost everything under the hood stock appearing, with the ability to quickly and easily convert it all back should I sell the car. For an idea of how I'm setting this up, look at the SC Toyota is using on it's 6 cyl 3.0 engine (Turbo magazine Aug 2K pg. 28) . This is what I mean by a lot less plumbing. Also, TC is just more complicated. Now the JWT TC set up is pretty simple looking compared to normal TC'ing, but who knows when or if he'll do it for the 2000 Sentras. He has his plate so full I don't know how he gets anything done. Like I said, IF I can do this it will be more simple than any TC upgrade. I was on the SE-R reflective mailing list (until they dropped 132 e-mails on me in one day) and I saw that there are more complications involved than just plumbing when it comes to turbo charging. I do want to say that if I can't pull it off I'll hope and pray for the JWT TC kit. My only reservation at that point would be whether or not I would have to sit in my car and let it idle for a few minutes to let the Turbo cool off before I shut it down. That could be a deal breaker unless the kit included a device that would shut the car off for you after a predetermined amount of time.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
You don't have to idle for a couple minutes before shutting your car off when you have a turbo. All you really need to do is make sure that you haven't been in the boost for a minute or two before shutting the engine off. So just don't get into the boost right before you get where you're going, and you won't have to worry about it. If you were in the boost, then just drive around the block before shutting the car off.

You can also get a turbo timer that will keep your engine running for a pre-determined amount of time after taking the key out of the ignition. Mostyl you won't need to set it for more than 30 seconds. But if you were just in the boost, you may want to set it for a mninute. If you're on the track and you're running hot, set it for 3 or 4 minutes.

In any case, Mike Mager and Ryan Besterwich don't have turbo timers, and they manage just fine. My NX didn't have a timer either. I would usually just pull into my driveway and let it idle for 15-20 seconds and then shut it off. It's not a big deal.

G

·
0 Posts
A search of the archives should turn up some posts from Manny (Gonzalez?) of Redline Proformance (something like that) who built a supercharged sr20 and found out that it was more difficult than a turbo. IIRC, the major theory was that the supercharger is always boosting, the turbo is not. Look it up.

And having ridden in Ryan's car and Mike Mager's car, i can honestly say that the whole thing about not having power down low is ****. There is quick boost response.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts