SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you think this is caused by a bad tensioner? I took it seems to have plenty tension/pressure behind it... but that probably doenst mean anything. I don't see what else it could be, could the chain have stretched? Also the timing marks on the chain dont match up with the ones on the prockets however at TDC they are in the right position (marks on sprockets). Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
49 Posts
you need to have 20 teeth between the marks on the gears

·
Registered
49 Posts
put both to the correct position without the chain on, then count twenty teeth between the marks on the gears. then turn the motor so the tensioner can take up any other slack.

·
Registered
979 Posts
That slack will go away when you rotate the engine forwards with the crank nut. Depending on where you stop, and if you backspin the crank a tad, that slack will appear. That in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean that your tensioner is bad.

Can't tell for sure since the left edge of the photo JUST cuts off the paint mark, but it looks like the 20 pins is correct...

_SHig

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I spin the engine with a wrench at the crank and it does not backspin and i get this slack every rotation.. The reason i pulled everything apart is because the chain was making a LOT of noise while engine running. Something is loose i just dont know if I should replace the tensioner or chain, or guides.... There is the correct amout of links between all the marks.

Also, when i turn the crank by wrench at every rotation the chain hits the upper chain guide (slaps the upper chain guide) then tensions up again.

·
Drivin' my life away. . .
409 Posts
The tensioner is hydraulic and only works when you have oil pressure.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
that looks normalish to me.. set it on timing, rotate it 16 times and call it a day

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So no way of testing the tensioner.. I really dont want to take the timing chain cover again... (took it off just to see if anything else is wrong, but all looks good).

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
I've had that much slack when doing cam swaps... but only when the tensionor is out...

Like shig said... the slack should disappear after you crank the motor and the tensioner should pop out...if that slack is there after rotation with the tensioner in then you might want to investigate... if you want to test it, zip tie your sprockets to the chain, take the tensionor out... make sure the clip is unlocked, push it in and it should pop back out... put it back in and bolt it down and turn the motor... it will click.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im just going to get a new "updated" tensioner. I found one on Rockauto.com but not sure if its the updated one... Does it look like new style or old style?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
$35 at rockauto.com... good price. i was confused because it was listed under 92 NX2K and the 02 G20 had a picture of the old style looking one... I double checked with them and its the one pictured.

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
I wonder who makes them. Are there aftermarket tensioners?

Rockauto is a great vendor by the way. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. My tensioner is worn out in my 200sx, for $35 I might try one as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts