SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the b18b is the 140hp engine found in base integras... its a pretty good specific output and im wondering how come it isnt as published and heralded like the SR?

its only a 1.8, so it doesnt have alot of torque, so it must make the peak 140 up high.. but it doesnt employ any variable timing control... its hard to think its able to make torque at that engine speed? (redline is 7600rpm, i believe)

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
It is heralded a little. You just have to go to big turbo honda sites. IMHO that engine is the sister engine to the sr20. Its like the brown top ZC engine. People like it and swap it in all the time, but then you get the people that get all worked up over numbers and swap b16's just cause they "have more". Whats cool is with a little work you can drop the b18b into a first gen crx. if you are all in to dragging thats hella cool with a decent turbo. But thats a big engine, throws weight distrubtion way off. Its just that you dont hear much about the engine now since eveyrone over-shadows it with the vtec b18's and b16's. If I had a 3rd gen civic hatch or a "jelly bean" i would look at one of those, since they are dirt cheap and turbo friendly. but then again one of the hatches with a b16 isnt exactly slow

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
why buy a honda that you have to do an engine swap in to go fast, rather than buy a se-r and go fast from the factory? my brother has a jdm b18b in his 91 ls integra, i/e/h and 50 shot and runs really good though. still has open deck though....

G

·
most of the b series honda engines arent really turbo friendly. unlike the sr20. i wonder why so many draggers use hondas when they can do less work to get the same output with a nissan.

G

·
I had my first race this week, with a completely riced-out Integra GS- racing wheels, lower tie bar, exhaust... We were wheel to wheel. I guess he's wasted a bunch of money- my '01 SE is bone-stock, and only 2 weeks old. HAHAHAHAHA

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by audio1der:
I had my first race this week, with a completely riced-out Integra GS- racing wheels, lower tie bar, exhaust... We were wheel to wheel. I guess he's wasted a bunch of money- my '01 SE is bone-stock, and only 2 weeks old. HAHAHAHAHA</font>
Um....racing wheels and a lower tie bar don't make any HP.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
The B18is not a bad engine at all! It can be pretty peppy.

Little racing story:

Last summer around this time I was driving my 91 SE-R (hotshot header, pr cai, jwt cams, remus exhaust, jwt clutch) and I saw my friend with an Integra LS with the B18b motor. It had a DC sports header, UR pulleys, custom exhaust, and a AEM intake. We decided to have a couple runs for the hell of it. Result:

I won, but not by that much. I pulled pretty good after 1st gear, maybe put 3 car-lengths on him by the beginning of third. They're good little engines. Maybe not as hyped up as the others, but good.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts & shifter bushing, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
but then again one of the hatches with a b16 isnt exactly slow</font>
Actually, i beg to differ, hehehe....I raced one at Carlisle this weekend and beat the snot out of it

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
883 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by audio1der:
completely riced-out Integra GS- racing wheels, lower tie bar, exhaust... </font>
Riced out was the key word

------------------

Kris94G20™
"clears and stickers, the best bang for your buck"
The Beginning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts