SR20 Forum banner

What kind of look and feel should the revised SR20DE Forum have?

• Darker colors (dark blues, greens, black) serious

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Lighter colors (blues, reds, whites, etc) lame

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Neutral colors (shades of grey, black, white) serious and functional

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Don't touch the forum interface or I'll kill you

Votes: 6 13.6%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually have some time, so I'm working on a different interface for the board. The logo will be refreshed and made somewhat smaller, the buttons and indicators will be changed. The color scheme will be different.

The board will remain online through it all, but some parts might be updated before others, so just relax if some colors or elements look freaky.

Please give your opinion in the poll. I'm leaning towards a serious look, with some easy-on-the-eyes neutral colors. The poll will be online for 14 days and will help dictate what direction I go in...

Administrators and others of importance, please let me know privately your thoughts. I don't want to pretend I'm the only one that matters... :D

Cool.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
YYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAWWWWW!!!!!!

THE FIRST VOTE IS IN!!!!!
ITS 100% ME!!!!
.................YOU KNOW WHAT ..I CHANGED MY MIND.UH OH...

LETS HAVE IT black and Aztec Red and white and blue.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
The only thing about this board, is how similar it is to the B15 board. I'm still getting used to how it looks and feels compared to the old way.

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of my goals is to get the board closer to the top of the window. The logo is too big and the buttons don't need to be there. More space for the rest of the forum. :)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
i THINK ITS FINE.................OH WELL.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Just a thought - are you considering implementing Avatars? I thought that would be cool, and people could take the pics out of their sigs that way. I had a couple ideas for a good avatar recently. :D

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose it's something to consider. However, I would only favor avatars if it meant no more images in sigs. ;)

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
What is wrong with pictures in sigs? I like to look at other peoples sr20s as long as they are small.

sr20deboston said:
I suppose it's something to consider. However, I would only favor avatars if it meant no more images in sigs. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, there is a minority that finds it necessary to put large images in their sig, and even more that insist on repeating them in replies. I'm not against either, but think avatars can wait. *for now*

BTW, where in Europe are you? I lived in Antwerp for 5 years...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
sr20deboston said:
......... and even more that insist on repeating them in replies.
you mean you dont like mt spidey??!!!! :(

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Grey shades are easy on the eyes and readable. This forum is text-based after all, so those qualities are essential.

Harsh, bold colors are all right for a general web site with few to moderate pockets of text, but almost all of the content here is text. No light-on-dark unless it's a title bar or header, please. Forums with white-on-black schemes especially are not comfortable to read in long jogs.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
I like Spidey, but that could just as easily be an avatar and save a good bit of vertical space. I mean look at the pics in the sigs just in this thread, and subtract the space they're taking up. Makes it easier to scroll through a thread, and you still get your image under your name as an avatar.

But I'm not against images, it's just a thought that's all.

EDIT - Oh yeah, and maybe instead of "SE-R Junkie" it should say "SE-R Monkey". :D

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I just voted for serious, because I'm looking for muted colours, so it's not blatently obvious that I'm posting to a message board while I'm at work :)

I'd like Avatars, too. Cool.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts

SE-R Monkey = Bad (think of the connotations)

Images in sigs = I'm just as guilty as anybody. HOWEVER...the difference between the 'old' forum and the VBB one is that, on the old one, you had to choose to display your sig pic in each post. On this here new-fangled jobby, it's automatically selected for you when you reply. An it's usually below the visible portion on your monitor. So, it's not intentional that I always post my sig pic, it's just that it's too late to think about it after I post.

SR20DEForum logo = okay. As someone who designs stuff all day, it could be done better, and look better. It also needs to be bigger, IMHO. I can offer to design it up in Photoshop, if you'd like. If not, no biggie.

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That wasn't this admin ;-)

As far as the logo is concerned, perhaps bigger horizontally is better, but it needs to be brought up significantly.

·
Registered
883 Posts
sr20deboston said:

Thats easy to fix, go into the user control panel and select the option to not show sigs/avatars/imgs/ etc. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did that already. *sigh*
Well I'm working on an improved interface this weekend at home using a local development box I have. So any change won't be incremental, I'll just turn it on.

Also, whatever I end up designing will be it's own style, and if you don't like it you can choose to continue using this interface. That way, I nearly everyone can be satisfied with something.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Sorry I haven't been able post much in the last week as I was out of town. During the KCGeekout on Sunday they told me "Hey, did you know that the forum was changed completely this weekend?" I had no idea Matt was going to do it this weekend. That's ok though.

The look is good, but not great. I'm having a hard time getting used to it. I really don't know what color scheme would be better, but white then gray isn't what I want. Maybe try all white on every post like before. I have admin rights just like Matt so I'll play and see what I like :)

Hey Matt, does this thing have the ability to have some static links on the main page? I would like to create SE-R.net type of content from our own members. Reviews of mods and products, how-tos, info of the cars like options and info for the various years. How hard would that be to make Matt? The forums would be the central thing, and then there would be links to sections like Mod Installs, Mod Installs, Common Problems and Fixes, etc.

Hmmm.... maybe these sections could just be their own forums? Have someone write up a thread/article with pics and stuff, send it to an admin to be approved, and then we can post it? That way it can be integrated into the forums better than separate web pages. Take advantage of the forum interface. People can respond in the thread as well. It would all be there for folks to click on too right there as opposed to searching the list archives for discussion on a topic. We would actually in a way be competing with SE-R.net, but the SE-R community needs this since SE-R.net is basically dead as far as new material goes.

Let me know what ya'll think.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
it would be nice to have all the how-to's and mods stuff all together. That way people have a central source to go to.

......................this place just keeps getting better and better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts