SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, you highly astute and friendly turbo guys, it's time to enlighten your Nissan brethren:

"From what I've heard, in order to "chip" the SR20DET ECU (and the KA I believe), you need to install a piggyback daughter board that will accept proms. I don't believe that you can just wire in a prom socket. If anyone has any info on this, please let me know. Also, if anyone is on the SE-R list, could you pose the question to them? I'm sure that the SR20DE of the same era uses similar if not the same ECU architecture, and many of them have done an SR20DET swap from vehicles like the Sunny GTi-R and etceteras.

Thanks for the information!

Erik J
92 SE - Dying to Drift
www.Fun-Drives.com"

AS the posts start to fly, I'll let the 240 group know about this great forum. CB

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
As far as I know, the JDM SR20DET ECU is no different than the US SR20DE ECU in terms of being able to modify it. When you send in your ECU to JWT, they attach a daughterboard to it, DE or DET. I *believe* there is an EEPROM of some type because they have to program something different into it. If you need to get your programming changed, say for a different turbo, different compression, things of that nature, you ship it back to JWT and they will reprogram it for $100. If you want the NOS or water injection programs, that adds yet a different daughterboard to the ECU. This is all done by JWT. It's not like you can buy this daughterboard and then get a particular chip.

Hopefully that explains what you wanted to know

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
And we have a Turbo Forum now ya know

[Edited by Ben98SentraSE (08-22-2000 at 10:46 AM).]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Once you get the JWT ECU w/daughterboard, you can switch out the chip yourself. I did this many times trying to get the VE into proper tune (it was too rich - never nailed the mix) before I sent it for a snail.

Its a cake walk if you are used to modifying computers.

This is of course if JWT is willing to send you a chip only.

See

http://homepage.mac.com/carlm/mods1.html

for a shot of the daughterboard.

G

·
0 Posts
OK so you DO get a daughter board. My next question... is there anyone who is willing to either A) send me their ECU or B) take LOTS and LOTS of pictures of it and how it is connected? Do you think that JWT will just sell the daughter board? I guess at this point I actually have to ask them =) Thanks for the help guys. Also, Bubba, what software were you using to hack up the code, or were you just editing hex? Thanks!

-Erik

·
Registered
162 Posts
Oh no no...

I don't know enough about the code to hack it.

When I said computer modification I meant hardware only.

If you look on
http://homepage.mac.com/carlm/mods1.html
you'll see the eprom in the upper left hand corner of the picture of the open ECU (on the daughter board). The eprom is not (obviously)soldered so you can change them out easily.

Pop-out & pop-in - very simple (if I can do it you certainly can).

G

·
0 Posts
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~kool/editor_direct.html

this is an editor for many various JDM ecus. If I got just a daughter board from JWT, would their stuff necessarily have the same addresses that this program refers to? I think I need to talk to the creator of this program to find out what is needed to get a prom onto the ECU it is designed to work with...

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Now THAT looks neat
please find out more about it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts