SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys that have SR20DETs...

Where do you get the engines? How much are they? When you put in a DET, do you replace the tranny, or can it take the power?

Thanks

·
_______
3,640 Posts
The BB DET bolts rite up to the stock SR trans with no worries of it blowing up.

I got my DET from SOKO. They have adds in SCC. It was $1680 shipped w/no IC or ECU. You can also get them from SOKEN. If you search the Mailing list arcives you can find there #.

http://www.se-r-list.org/archives/

Go here and Type in DET. You will get a ton of messages. Or try SOKEN and SOKO.

Mike G.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is a front mount IC? Intercooler? If so, how much extra is an intercooler?

Is there any warranty or guarantee offered on the DETs from the company you mentioned? What are the history of the DETs? Why are there so many available from Japan for so cheap?

For curiousity, do you know how much power/torque the stock SR trans is capable of handling? How about the remainder of the drivetrain?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, the reason SR20DET engines are cheap and plentiful here in Japan is probably because Nissan has used or is currently using the engine in a ton of cars, including the Silvia/180SX (240sx), Bluebird SSS (sports version of the Japanese Altima... I think most DETs in the States come from Bluebirds, since they are also front wheel drive), the Avenir Salut (a station wagon originally based on the Primera/G20 platform) and the Sunny GTi-R (kind of a hatchback version of the Sentra turned into an AWD rally car). They also use it in a few of their larger mini-van type vehicles, like the R'nessa (as far as I know, a vehicle only available here...)

I don't have any connections here in the auto wrecking business, so I can't say how much the engines cost before shipping but I'm going to start doing some research; I want to put a Sunny GTi-R engine and 6 speed tranny in my all-wheel-drive Primera... can you say G20 rally car? :)

As for the intercooler, what a lot of people here do is use the intercooler from a Skyline GT-R; it is a front mount and is actually for a slightly bigger engine than the SR20DET, the Skyline's RB26DETT. You're going to need to get the piping fabricated, and from what I've seen, usually cutting or replacing the front bumper is also a necessity for a proper fit. Depending on what you're putting it into, there may or may not be aftermarket front bumper covers that will fit an intercooler...

·
_______
3,640 Posts
They give a warranty that the motor will run. They call it a 30 day in shop warranty. eg. When I got my first DET it had a blown turbo and oily **** in the coolant so They sent me a new one and I sent the other back.

How much for a IC? Well I got mine(crossflow,16x5.5x2.5) for $530 with end tanks. You also have to get the pipes made for all the pluming(turbo to IC and IC to TB with provisions for the BOV and misc. vacume taps)

My car is being trailerd to the shop tommrow to have this done. I'm planing on spending anywhere from $350 to....$550+ to have these made. The place its going to will buy the appropriate mandrel bends and weld it all together(no chush bends).

Also the stock trans can easly handle the power of a stock DET. I'm pretty sure most stock SR trannys can handle 350hp without blowing apart. I have heard of some stories about 3rd and 5th gear self destructing on high HP turbo cars but those were 350-400 hp motors on trannys with 80-100k+ miles on them.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts