SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering on how you guys feel about the SR20DET's competiton. The competition would have to be a Japanese 2.0L DOHC turbocharged 4-cyclinder. That would be Subaru's EJ20, Toyota's 3S-GTE, and Mitsubishi's 4G63 (If there are any more, please do mention). Which of these engines do you guys feel has more potential? Pros and cons of each engine?

·
SE-R Bastard
938 Posts
As an owner os a 4G63, I feel it is a very strong motor. I dyno'd at 13psi with K&N & 3inch exhaust only at 220whp. This motor has 7:8:1 compression also. I have never had a reliability problem also. The only problem I see with the DSM's is the hefty weight. My FWD Talon weighed in at 3100lbs. Yuk.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I don't have any first hand experice with any of those motors, but I've heard that the toyota and mitsu motors are pretty much bullet proof.

G

·
What's up?

I have to agree man, as an ex-DSMer (Galant VR4- #1094, 4G63) I may be biased, but I must say the power potential for the 4G63 is amazing. I had a K&N filter on that car with an MBC turned up to 16 psi, and it was a pretty good difference from stock, enough to do hand timed 0-60 in about 6 and a half.

Not to mention it's already been said many times how you can go 13s in a 1st gen DSM for under 1000, even much less if you know what to do. So for straight up power production, I'd say the 4G63 is tough to beat. Throw a 16G turbo on (it bolts right up to a 1G 4G63), and you can get up to 350 whp if you have enough fuel.

Bad points were that the low compression makes it quite sluggish off boost, something amplified in a 300 lb heavier Galant. Good thing though was with the 7.8 comp you could run 1.0 bar+ on the stock turbo and fuel system no sweat.

The DET might spool quicker, and so might the 3S-GTE (not so familiar with this one), but I think it might cost more to see the same gains, that's all. Of course, throw an adapter flange and a T3/T4 (or larger if you're real sick) on any of these and you'll get big hp, but I'm just saying practically speaking, hp seems easier to come by in the Mitsu. They're all awesome engines, props to the Japanese for making these four cylinder turbo killers that are strong foundations for serious hp.

my $0.02

·
Registered
134 Posts
SeRKid said:
What's up?

I have to agree man, as an ex-DSMer (Galant VR4- #1094, 4G63) I may be biased, but I must say the power potential for the 4G63 is amazing. I had a K&N filter on that car with an MBC turned up to 16 psi, and it was a pretty good difference from stock, enough to do hand timed 0-60 in about 6 and a half.

Not to mention it's already been said many times how you can go 13s in a 1st gen DSM for under 1000, even much less if you know what to do. So for straight up power production, I'd say the 4G63 is tough to beat. Throw a 16G turbo on (it bolts right up to a 1G 4G63), and you can get up to 350 whp if you have enough fuel.

Bad points were that the low compression makes it quite sluggish off boost, something amplified in a 300 lb heavier Galant. Good thing though was with the 7.8 comp you could run 1.0 bar+ on the stock turbo and fuel system no sweat.

The DET might spool quicker, and so might the 3S-GTE (not so familiar with this one), but I think it might cost more to see the same gains, that's all. Of course, throw an adapter flange and a T3/T4 (or larger if you're real sick) on any of these and you'll get big hp, but I'm just saying practically speaking, hp seems easier to come by in the Mitsu. They're all awesome engines, props to the Japanese for making these four cylinder turbo killers that are strong foundations for serious hp.

my $0.02
Yeah, but didn't you blow your engine? bwahahaha!

·
Registered
858 Posts
what's so funny about that?you hater!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dude, you don't have to quote 4 paragraphs just to add a lame-ass comment.
This is a forum, which means most of can scroll up the page to see what was just said, and we can also scroll by any stupid remarks.

Who here hasn't blown up or damaged something trying to make it faster, that's why we're here.

Muwahahah

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
4G63s do have issues. Almost all Mitsubishi engines suffer from leaky valve guides. Symptoms are belching blue smoke while leaving a stop light, but clears up quickly after that. Take a look at the Dodge/Plymouth minivans (which have I believe the Mitsu 3.0 V6) the next time your in traffic. I can't remember the last one I saw over 5 years old that didn't do this. I redid the head on my 4G63 for about $500, so now no more burning.

Now, if you're going to mod the hell out of it, you'll probably want to do a rebuild anyway which will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
EJ20

I don't know much of the motor (ej20) persay but i think it is and can be pretty strong. I currently have a WRX and a SE-R (non det) and think the ej20 is pretty strong. It hasn't broken after some of the stupid stuff i have done. But on the other hand talk about engine combined with tranny and that is a whole different ball game.

On another note, lots of people are pulling 13.5-13.8 on the 1/4 in wrxs with just a mbc, removal of the silencer and taking off the exhaust.

Also there are a couple of wrx people on i-club.com running upgraded turbos and other various items that have gotten cels but nothing major happen to their motors.

G

·
Stop the hate AK!

Yeah I did blow SOMETHING on the engine, but far as I know, it's TBD whether it was really detonation, could have just been a connecting rod or even valvetrain related since the cause of death was never properly investigated boo hoo hoo.

But yeah, I actually know this "ak" wanna be SE-R fan, so thanx for the support anyways guys, but it IS an inside joke- I'm friends with AK so he's just busting my a$$ ('cause he's still upset that my puny 4G63 with 100$ in mods beat his car with a turbo upgrade and all this other crap hahah).

Either way, just because an engine seems played out doesn't mean it's no good. The 4G63 is definitely fairly common but that's why people modify it I guess, to be different and of course for more hp. Out.

:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Friend? Never! I blew him up with my ride against his 3 different rides!(Accord, 3gen Supra & Chevy Conversion Van) Yeah, I lost to his Vr4 but that's because I felt bad that his engine was gonna go boo boo soon. so the nice guy that I am, I let him win...mwahahaha. Also my clutch sucks :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
I heard the DSM's break timing belts all the time, not a good thing with a collsion engine. Bad **** happens when the valves get frisky with the pistons :eek:. Saw a 95 (I think) GSX for sale with a broken belt for $500! If I wouldve had the money I would have bought it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts