SR20 Forum banner

sr20ve 1mm head shave & n1 cams possible?

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  blusteelsr20 
#1 ·
Ok, i have searched and not found anything.

So is it possible to shave a sr20ve head by 1mm, use the standard thickness head gasket and use n1 cams? Or will valve clearance be an issue?

The compression increase by what i have read will be around 0.8cr?

Note this is with a sr20ve bottom end.

#2 ·
I know there is plenty of people running N1 in their stock sr20ve's with stock compression. I am not a fan of shaving heads would rather use a thiner head gasket. If ur worried get some N1 pistons and have them notched for the oil squirts and use standard size Head gasket. Then you can get higher compression and run the cams with no valve clearence issues. Or get some sr16ve pistons have them notched for oil squirters and 1mm off the dome or the valve releases as they have the deepest valve releases in the ve motors. or go all out and buy CP 12.5.1 pistons which are a stright drop in for $500-$600 which includes everything you need. And they accomdates High Lift Camshafts (Deep, Oversized Valve Face Reliefs where necessary)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...witem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_669wt_1025

ps I hope your also planning on upgrading atlease your spring!!!

#4 ·
Taking off 1mm is really not a good idea. That's just too much, making your cylinder head non-serviceable.

The negatives are:

1. reduce piston to valve clearance, interference with N1 cams
2. changes the cam timing.
3. hotter running engine, since the water jacket is now closer to combustion process.

There isn't any head gaskets that is 1mm thinner than factory. You might as well installed the engine without a head gasket, because the compressed thickness of the factory head gasket is already 1mm.

The 16VE piston has less ptvc than the standard 20VE piston. The N1 piston has the most.

#5 ·
Sorry I know ZERO of the technical side! but with my N1 engine we simply removed the 1.6ltr N1 block and bolted on the factory untouched 2ltr block and had no clearance issues (that's using a complete untouched N1 head, still going strong after a couple of years hard driving (but I would imagine the tolerances are that much lower now)

#10 ·
yes it can

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.