SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scanning threads on the VE forum, I found a great range of "suggested" valve clearances (lash) for the VE.

Ranging from .15 mm (0.006") for BOTH intake and exhaust up to .20 mm (0.008") for intake and .28 mm for exhaust!!!! (this last one is almost DOUBLE the .15 mm !!! )

Lets try to collect all opinions (and posible info sources here)...

NOTES.

1. Valve lash is measured COLD between the cams base circle and the rocker arm at both sides of the rocker arm (i.e., on both cams) and their difference should be negligible (close to 0.01mm ???)

2. The FSM for the SR20DET (which uses solid lifters and is the closest head to the VVL that we do have an FSM for) suggests COLD valve lash between 0.14 mm and 0.17 mm (measured as in #1 above). No difference between intake lash and exhaust lash.

So, what are the proper clearances?
Should there be a differnce between Intake and Exhaust?

·
CAR SLÜT
1,622 Posts
Increasing the lash improves low rpm response, as the valves are not opened as much as they should.

Reducing lash increases lift and hi rpm power band improves, as the cams are move the valve more directly and accurately follows the lobe.

0.15 is about right and the motor has to be stone cold(left overnight)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
i have posted the actual VE fsm pages detailing this a few times already there are no opinions to be had on making a group opinion....only the facts that are set by the FSM. there is a difference from intake to exhaust and there are differences between cylinders. search harder.

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have posted the actual VE fsm pages detailing this a few times already there are no opinions to be had on making a group opinion....only the facts that are set by the FSM. there is a difference from intake to exhaust and there are differences between cylinders. search harder.
Thanks for the input BIGTOM.

I am surprised I missed your posts you mention above since I have subscribed to the SR20VE / SR16VE forum and receive notifications for every post or updated thread.

Still, I think my searching skills are degrading because I just spent 1 hour searching every post by you in the SR20VE / SR16VE forum going back to 07-22-2003 and could not find any FSM page posted. I can try harder but I think I did search well enough. I did find the existence of the translated Japanese FSM pages mentioned in 2 threads but that was all, no pages.

Would you be kind enough to PM me a link to any of the few times it was posted?
Failing that and if it saves you time, please email me the pages in any of the following emails:
hpro AT intracom DOT gr
hpro AT reporter DOT gr
chris DOT pronios AT gmail DOT com.

TIA.

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I had mine reshimmed now to 0.2mm intake and 0.13mm exhaust and with the FS4 cams the resulting duration was massive!! But will post in the FS4 cams threads instead.

If my lash sizes are incorrect pls let me know.
Since I did start the thread, I do not really know whether your lash sizes are correct but.... all such measurements I have ever seen have a Larger Exhaust size lash. Yours as reported is the other way around!!!!

·
102fwkw NXR
19 Posts
just thought i'd dig up an old thread because i'm looking for the answer myself. but did anyone actualy find out what the valve clearances are meant to be? *looks at bigtom*

·
Registered
154 Posts
I will transfer my answer here also.

It may be a little complicate to understand...
I believe tables are divided cold to warm and then intake exhaust.
Similar conversation is located here.

Valve Clearance (mm) (warm) INT/EXH 0.43/0.45 for the SR16VE
Valve Clearance (mm) (warm) INT/EXH 0.33/0.45 for the SR16VE.N1

The last two values were taken from another fsm which contains a table of engine data.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is no one answer for this question. OEM clearances are for OEM use. If you are planning on building a street/strip motor or a strictly race engine the clearances will need to be bigger to compensate for thermal expansion especially on the exhaust valve. To give you an idea, we run .016-.018" of lash on the exhaust side of our S15 race motor. We found this out the hard way last year when we burned up two heads due to not enough clearance on the exhaust side. It was not letting the exhaust valve close all the way and thus not letting it cool down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.