SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have updates on the 2.0 VE and 1.6 VVL engines? Anyone heard of anybody that can get one from Japan, yet? Already know all the specs, just names, prices, and contact info would be helpful!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks Scarpa for the kind words. I'm glad to know someone finds the site useful.

The real story is that the SR20s are old news. The QRs have finally been aknowledged by Nissan to be the new DOHC 4cyl motors to go in the 2002 Altima and SE-R

See
http://www.freshalloy.com/cars/nissan/

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Old news?? heh when you're a hand-me-down racer like me, the old engines just get better when the new generation comes around. of course we won't be seeing that many VE's but the good old SR20DE will do me just fine =]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Whoops!! I think I came off as some kind of "new-engine-snob".

not my intention

A few months after I got the VE I just kind of knew the VE was only a side-curiosity on the way to the next generation, not really a part of the future of Nissan that most expected. Since the motor was so hard to come by for so long, I figuured Nissan had to be developing something else for their worldwide platforms.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You're less of a snob than I'm a wannabe racer, probably.

Regarding the QR series, do you think it will utilize a VVL type technology? Those variable timing/cam technologies are neato and fancy and all but from an amateur racing perspective I'd rather have a strong, well designed (read, simple) motor than fancy technology.

Actually, I can't say that I mean that. But I like to work on my cars myself and simpler is definitely better from that perspective.

·
Registered
194 Posts
From what I've read it isn't going to have all that variable valve timing stuff. I think its just gonna be a plain old motor much like that SR20DE that puts out gobs more power. Kinda cool if you ask me.

Mel

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't know much about the new QR or where the added power will be coming from.

Nissan has already lightened the crank, added coatings to the piston skirts (how much this increases hp is debatable), optimized the intake & exhaust manifolds, and dabbled in variable valve lift. Maybe they have optimized these further or just increased the displacement and "cubed" the bores.

These are all guesses.

As far as complexity goes...

Come on you guys!! I'm all for simplicity but am also a die hard fuel injected DOHC fan. Unless this stuff moves into Stephen Hawking territory I'm all for progress.

Don't even bother showing me a pushrod or carb.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
come on guys. This simplicity talk is the opposite of how I feel.
Take the good old 140hp SR20DE. Max out your bolt ons (stopping with the S3 cams) and you've got ~185 hp at the crank. (of course there is always nitrous or turbo) Take a comepletly stock SR20VE and you've got 190hp at the crank (and maybe more low end torque). I wouldn't think that you'd ever had to mess with the VVL part of the engine. Add some stuff to the VE like a CAI, pulleys, headers and you've probably left the SR20DE way behind. And it shouldn't be any harder to add those bolt ons. What simplicity are you looking for?

Bubba, I haven't read your site in a while, so correct me if I'm wrong on the SR20VE stuff.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I guess what I meant is I like simpler engines to work with.. but that doesn't necessarily mean lower tech. Call me crazy but I feel more comfortable with the SR20 than say, the EA81 in my '84 subaru. There's tons of vacuum lines and crap hanging off that engine, I shudder to pop the hood. Of course that's a beater, and the NX is my baby =]

I have a question about the VVL stuff that I haven't been able to reason out. If you get 180 or so HP out of a full bolt-on SR20 (with S3 cams), and you can get 190 HP out of the VE tech, how much room is left for improvement on the VE? Is the high-rev cam on the VE way way more efficient than the S-3s? I know I've heard that the S2000 for instance is way hard to modify and actually gain power due to the high quality engineering. Will there be a point soon where these new I4s are SO efficient in stock form that tuning is going to be much less cost-effective?

Don't get me wrong, when I can finally afford to buy a new(ish) car, I'll want the fancy high-power engine. Like I said, I was coming from the unskilled wrench point of view.

·
Registered
162 Posts
NA VE tuning...

You could slap on a VE (NOT DE!!! - you'll see why I'm pissed about this when I link up my Mods II page) header 4-5hp, K&N cone 1hp, properly tune the ECU 3hp, pulleys 3-5hp, overbore 1mm 5hp (or go the JUN route and re-sleeve to 2-4mm 10-15hp), ex-hone the intake manifold (some say you need turbulence here but I look at the STR in the Honda camp and think there is potential here) 2-5hp.

Don't bother with compression, its already 11:1. The crank is already lightened but you could balance everything.

The aftermarket will NEVER make some of this stuff so it will have to be a one-off.

>how much room is left for improvement on the VE?

Not much

>Is the high-rev cam on the VE way way more efficient than the S-3s?

No, I don't think so. The VE's extra hp is about half in the lobe-switch and half in the higher compression and exhaust/intake manifold optimizations. People expect too much from this motor. Don't get me wrong, I love the damn thing.

>Will there be a point soon where these new I4s are SO efficient in stock form that tuning is going to be much less cost-effective?

Has tuning ever been cost effective?:) I know what you mean, but speed has always been a quesion of money. How fast do you want to go?

Look at the Skunk V-Tech Integra. The high-power NA route is for very smart and dedicated people with resources for R&D. This is why I went turbo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts