SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread cause I'm sick of sifting through all the bullshit on the original VE thread. Please try to keep this a VE specific thread for those who want to learn more about this swap and the potential of this motor.

I'm expecting my motor to arrive next week and will begin preparation for the swap shortly thereafter. My initial plan is to use the DE harness and send the DE ECU to JWT for the VVL program. If possible I'll be swapping all the DE sensors to the VE motor and using the DE MAF. This should allow a pretty straightforward plug and play scenario eliminating the potential for check engine lights. I'll also be rewiring the distributor because my DE has an external coil and the VE's is internal. Not a bid deal there.

Again, this is my initial plan but things may change after I have a look at the VE wiring diagrams that are being sent with the motor.

I'm very confident of making this work especially knowing Andreas Miko and SR20Developmnet have agreed to make themselves available if problems arise.

·
Retired VE Owner
548 Posts
Since several of us are getting VE fever, I'd like to see the mods make an SR20VE forum!!

I should have mine in 2 weeks also. Jim, we'll have to meet up at Atco in NJ in a couple of months and run VE vs. VE.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think a whole new forum is necessary but it would be nice to have a VE category on this forum.

My car is not set up for drag racing. I spent big bucks upgrading the suspension and brakes for open track events. That's my bag.

When I get home tonight I'll drop you a private message.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
I'm not sure I'm clear on something here. The SR20VE has 2 different cams for intake/exhaust instead of one for each? a high rpm cam and a low rpm cam? or is there just bigger lobes on the cams..I dont know a lot, but I'm trying to learn why the VE is so special.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
silversx said:
okay, i guess bigger lobes then. that's a cool pic. Shoes59, are you going to take pictures of the swap for all us geeks on the forum?:D
I plan to take lots of pictures but will need help from one of you computer pros to figure out how to start a web page to show my progress. The simple little page listed in my sig was a feable attempt to start my own site. I can't even remember my password to access it and make updates.

·
Retired VE Owner
548 Posts
Shoes59 said:
I don't think a whole new forum is necessary but it would be nice to have a VE category on this forum.

My car is not set up for drag racing. I spent big bucks upgrading the suspension and brakes for open track events. That's my bag.
Category. That's what I meant, not a whole new forum.

We'll have to meet up for drag and track events. I'd like to see the performance of both. Need to check out a dyno too.

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
I'm most concerned with the computer issue. A JDM sr20ve ecu cannot be used because there is no manual sr20ve, right? Could an SR16VE ECU be used instead? I have the highest confidence in JWT, but how sophisticated is their control of the VVL point? I am sure you have to switch to different fuel/timing maps, but what if you are doing something stupid, like crusing at 5500 rpm in fourth gear? Would it be on the high cam?

I'd really like an in-depth technical explaination of all the difficulties involved in this swap, both mechanical and electrical, and their solutions. Good luck to you brave pioneers, please keep us posted!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Driven97 said:
I'm most concerned with the computer issue. A JDM sr20ve ecu cannot be used because there is no manual sr20ve, right? Could an SR16VE ECU be used instead? I have the highest confidence in JWT, but how sophisticated is their control of the VVL point? I am sure you have to switch to different fuel/timing maps, but what if you are doing something stupid, like crusing at 5500 rpm in fourth gear? Would it be on the high cam?

Well I cant see that really being a problem since people have used auto ecu on their manual car. You might get some idle problems, though.

Im guessing the sr16ve can be used since that guy from the islands had a sr16ve and switched to a sr20ve, Andreas didnt mention using a JWT ECU on his car CMIIW.

I also have the same concerns about the jwt ecu.

Mindset

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I would think that all the sensors should screw right in to it just fine. Whats the max the stock MAF will hold tho, 250 I forget? You going to get all new sensors or pull old ones off your old engine? Id probaly get atleast a new Knock sensor since that thing is SUPER sensative to damage. What injectors does a stock VE use? should plug in tho i would suspect sinice other nissans will as long as it doesnt need resistors put in. Also gota get a new CAI or such since you got a high port and its low port(isnt it?) Then a secondary has to be made up with a flex pipe, shouldnt be hard. You going to swap everything or are you going to do like the power steering removal kit?

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
I also have the same concerns about the jwt ecu.
well, if it uses the nitrous daughterboard, then it can be controlled by throttle pressure as it gets signal from the TPS and will activate nitrous based on load. i would think JWT would do this for the VVL engagement. i plan on using the JWT ECU, just because i spent so much on the damned thing for my 98!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bowlcut said:
I would think that all the sensors should screw right in to it just fine. Whats the max the stock MAF will hold tho, 250 I forget? You going to get all new sensors or pull old ones off your old engine? Id probaly get atleast a new Knock sensor since that thing is SUPER sensative to damage. What injectors does a stock VE use? should plug in tho i would suspect sinice other nissans will as long as it doesnt need resistors put in. Also gota get a new CAI or such since you got a high port and its low port(isnt it?) Then a secondary has to be made up with a flex pipe, shouldnt be hard. You going to swap everything or are you going to do like the power steering removal kit?
I'm hoping to use all the old sensors. No concern about condition as the current DE motor is flawless. Injectors on the VE are a little bigger. Something like 320cc. My 94 DE is a low port so the CAI will work just fine. Especially if I use the DE MAF. If I end up using the VE MAF then all I'll need to do is fab up an adapter plate. I already spoke to Place Racing and they said they may be able to match up an adapter plate to the VE MAF. I already removed the AC from the DE. I'll be keeping the power steering.

·
Retired VE Owner
548 Posts
Shoes59 said:

I already removed the AC from the DE. I'll be keeping the power steering.
You're running your DE without AC? What belt are you using? I couldn't find one short enough. Are you going to reinstall your AC on the VE?

·
Retired VE Owner
548 Posts
I'm curious how we are going to fab an exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold to the cat, or should the VE exhaust manifold mate up to the DE downpipe?

I plan on using a low port CAI with a cobra MAF and all of the rest of the sensors off of the DE.

Ben at JWT told me the VE program is $595 plus $270 for the daughterboard to control the solenoid for the VVL. I know JWT dealer accounts are usually 15% off or $505.75 + 229.50. Anyone have a connection for me to pay better than the full $595 + $270 for the ECU??

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CNibbana said:

You're running your DE without AC? What belt are you using? I couldn't find one short enough. Are you going to reinstall your AC on the VE?
I don't remember the belt I used but I will say the 6 rib Gates belt (k030506 I think) that was recommended for the UR pullies when removing the AC was about a half inch short. I ended up using a 4 rib of some sort but don't remember the manufacturer or size. I'm not installing AC with the VE motor. This is pretty much a track only car though It'll remain street legal to get me to and from the Glen which is where I spend most of my time with it.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CNibbana said:
I'm curious how we are going to fab an exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold to the cat, or should the VE exhaust manifold mate up to the DE downpipe?

I plan on using a low port CAI with a cobra MAF and all of the rest of the sensors off of the DE.

Ben at JWT told me the VE program is $595 plus $270 for the daughterboard to control the solenoid for the VVL. I know JWT dealer accounts are usually 15% off or $505.75 + 229.50. Anyone have a connection for me to pay better than the full $595 + $270 for the ECU??
I'm counting on Hotshot to have the VE header developed by the time the salt is washed off the roads. If not then I'll have a local shop fab up a secondary to use with the stock VE pimary until one becomes available.

I have the advantage of already having a JWT ECU for the DE. It'll only cost me $270 for the VVL program.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.