SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok last night I was driving from McDonalds to my friends place and wile I was driving there I came to a stop at the light and my car died wile at idle. I have notest my revs have bin jumping up and down too when I throw in the clutch usually when I was just kind of giving it. It go's from about 1500 to oh around 100/200 revs when its jumping then it come to about normal idle at 800 and stays, could it be a dirty fuel system ? or is it some thing else ? any one had this problem too ?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Have you changed your fuel filter lately? If it's been a long while,you might want to give that a try. Also,check your engine idle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Carb cleaner to the inside of the butterfly of the throttle body and reground MAF. Sure fire fixes (see SERnet archives for details. Once you've had a look at this then adjust your idle... again SERnet archives are a treasure trove..... watch your fuel economy improve too...

·
Registered
244 Posts
My car does the same thing. i changed the cap, rotor, plugs, and fuel filter and it helped but the idle is still weird. ill stop and the rpm's go down to around 400 and then finally settles at 700-800.

Daniel K

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
cams made my car idle nice

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i think im going to get a new fuel filter and check my plugs tomorow if its not pouring rain, hope it works.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I had a similar post about this same thing. Some one said if my timing was advanced, that could cause it. So I put my timing make to normal, and sure enough, it hardly does it anymore.

------------------
Kris94G20™

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok well I put a new filter in that went well un till I was checking my timing I noticed it was a little past 17* so I went to change it because I'm only running 85oct fuel, but when I disconnected the tps and re-started the car it would race up to 2000 rpm and hold instead of being at near idle or have trouble running like described in the se-r.net instructions, so I tried to change the idle by adjusting the screw on the left side of the engine but that didn't help much I could only get it to 1500 rpm so I put it back, so I'm kind of miffed about how to fix this and properly set the timing to 15*. and the car kept changing the timing advancing 2* or decreasing the same it wouldn't hold at for more than a sec, when at 800 rpm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts