SR20 Forum banner

Stalling, shutting off, hard start... HELP!

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  gTeknikal 
#1 ·
So I have these 3 problems going for me. First, in the mornings, the idle is very irratic. It'll start going up and down,up and down. Then when I throw the car in neutral, it'll shut off on me when I get to a complete stop. AND while I'm normally driving the car (especially on the freeway), it'll stall REALLY bad. Start choking pretty bad. Everytime the car shuts off, I have to give it gas to start it up again. I already changed the fuel filter, but didn't seem to do to much of a difference. From reading an earlier post, seems like my AAC valve, but I don't have too much background about the AAC valve. Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Gino

#3 ·
i kinda have the same thing in my automatic. i tried just about everything today, and on the way home it nearly stalled on the busiest road in town in rush hour traffic. AGAIN! i think its my alternator though, and theres not enough juice going to the ECU, cause my radar detector said the voltage was just a hair under 12V when it thought about stalling. as long as i kept the revs up the voltage stayed up around 12.9 and i was able to make it home.

#4 ·
Good luck buddy ;) I've been trying to find a solution to my stalling problem for over a year now :( Mine is a cold engine prob though, but otherwise sounds very similar.

Read my thread for a list of things I've done/replaced but have not worked.

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=58802

#6 ·
BruHaHa said:
Have you tried cleaning your throttle body. Mine had the "stalling when you come to a complete stop after driving above 30mph" problem :). Did just a minor clean-up of the throttle body and the problem was solved. New plugs and distributor cap/rotor didn't do much prior to the throttle body cleaning. Hope this helps.
I will try this soon... thanks :)

#7 ·
gTeknikal said:
So I have these 3 problems going for me. First, in the mornings, the idle is very irratic. It'll start going up and down,up and down. Then when I throw the car in neutral, it'll shut off on me when I get to a complete stop. AND while I'm normally driving the car (especially on the freeway), it'll stall REALLY bad. Start choking pretty bad. Everytime the car shuts off, I have to give it gas to start it up again. I already changed the fuel filter, but didn't seem to do to much of a difference. From reading an earlier post, seems like my AAC valve, but I don't have too much background about the AAC valve. Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Gino
I would start by adding an extra ground to your maf, then check base idle (I always recommend this!), and also check your fuel pump pressure. If you are not sure about any of this- go to www.se-r.net it explains how to do just about everything.

#9 ·
also try using some propane and look for a MONSTROUS vacuum leak. Spray around the intake manifold and listen for the idle to change noticeably. otherwise try some of the other solutions..hard to diagnose a car over the computer bud...take her to a shop or something../

#10 ·
Ironically, I was searching for this same exact issue that I'm currently having with my B13, and I had forgot that I had even posted this for one of my older B13s that I used to have!

So I'm pretty much having the same issues, with the stalling and the car shutting off everytime I get to a stop light. Throttle body has already been cleaned, and I just changed the fuel filter. I'm gonna check the base timing tomorrow per SE-R.NET instructions and am going to clean out the AAC. Anything else anyone has done to remedy this issue?

#11 ·
For whoever is interested, I resolved my idle issue today. After cleaning out the AAC valve and setting my timing, no more dying out and no more hesitation!

I also went and checked the PAIR(AIV) via SE-R.NET instructions and there was no suction whatsoever from the port in the air box. So does this mean this unit is not working?

Although the car seems to be running pretty good right now, I still have my check engine light on and have yet to check the codes. I have no doubt that it is 02 related, especially since the prior owner seemed to have splied into the wiring and regrounded them for some reason. Let's see what I come up with.

#12 ·
newb ?

what is the AAV valve?

#14 ·
Well, I'm back to my original problem again. The car had been running great for the past week, and today it started shutting off on my again, as well as the stalling. Could my AAC be going out?

To recall, so far I've:
-cleaned throttle body
-reground MAF
-cleaned out AAC valve

From my searching, seems like the next thing I should target is the EGR and timing, although I have no timing light. Where are the local guys at when a brother is in need???

Help me out here, people. It's bad enough I'm driving my car with rod knock, but now I have to turn it back on everytime the light turns green. Not fun...:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.