SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here is the gist, My wife pulled my 92' NX2000 out of the garage and parked it on my relatively steep driveway to get my son's batt. powered jeep out. Three hours and thirteen minutes later she goes to start the car and nothing. It cranks and cranks, I see the motor turning, but it won't kick over. My neighbor and I pull it down into the street where it is level and start to tinker. We pull a spark wire, insert a plug into it and verify there was a spark. We pull the fuel line, crank it and ensure there is fuel being pumped (pulled line after filter). So by now the battery is running weak, so we hook up my expedition for a jump-start. My neighbor starts cranking for the umpteenth time and also pumps the gas pedal. After an eternity is starts up (small black cloud of emissions is produced from the rear) but sounds very labored, won't even idle. Starts up again and when he revs it a bit, we hear a belt squeal briefly. he revs is again and again, each time the squeal shortens until it is gone. In 2 minutes the car is running fine and has since. So, has ANYONE run into something similar? Any clues? I run mid grade gas form diamond shamrock, or Texaco only. 87 octane. I'm clueless in Colorado.

Mciin1

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
yeah i have had that problem too a couple of times were it dosnt start up and i have to keep cranking it for a mont and i runs like **** when it dose start, it only happens to me when i have my fuel really low, i think its water in the fuel tank that dose it, so when it happens to me i run some fuel drier in it and it dosnt happen for a long time, and this has only happend to me when the weather is really damp in the winter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Nick, I'll remember that.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, maybe the gas tank got condensation from the constant temp. changes you have this time of the year. how full (or empty) is your gas tank? try to keep it somewhat full and see what happens, even though I do not think that even a little bit of water would keep it from starting like that, but hey, anything can happen. this maybe a one time thing too, that stuff does happen. (for you guys going to the convention, I can show you a place right off they hwy where this happend, but has a really creepy story to go along with it and the location) :)

G

·
I had the EXACT same thing happen. When it finally cranked, I smelled gas strongly, which indicated flooding.

I did some searching on the se-r list archives and found a post from someone that said a nissan mechanic had told him that if you crank the sr20de up for only a few seconds and shut it down before it warms to operating temp, it can flood. If this happens, the symptoms will be just as you describe. Don't take this as gospel, but it was true in my situation. Just let it run at least a couple minutes before shutting it off every time you crank it....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Jo, That would make sense. The last time it was driven before the start problem was when my wife was moving it out of the garage, so it was on for like 15 seconds. perhaps the slant of the driveway propagated the issue. all I know is when I park it now, I par it in the garage or the street, not on my evrest like driveway. thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts