SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my car up yesterday, it wasnt really cold, i had just run into a store for about a half hour and came back out again. I started it and i heard a whirring noise inside my car coming from under the hood. every time i revved the engine it went away, but when i let it idle it was constant. I opened the hood and heard it coming from what sounds like the engine. I started driving and it went away completely. Does anyone have any ideas what this could have been...i havent heard anything like that before. Thanks in advance...John.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Check your belt tensions. I know my powersteering had worked loose from May when we changed the belts in Nashville. Either that or your timeing chain could be starting to hit the little guide on top of the valve cover. Who knows....like i say "we are still moving dont worry about those noises"

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SmoothDaddyFig said:
did you install a "Tornado" recently? :rolleyes:
Yeah ok, thats pretty funny though. NO, no tornado's for me. It only did it that one time, and like i said, it didnt do it when i was driving, just idling. So, if it happens again ill try to listen to where its originating from, maybe it was a belt but hopefully its nothing, just a sparatic noise. :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Have you noticed an electrical burning smell? If so it's sounds like your alternater is going out. (Same thing happened to my XE)

Look and see if any of your belts look real shinny. If they are, check the tension on them. This would usually be a high pitched squealing.

Power steering pump. When you are parked and it starts it up again, turn your wheel all the way to the right, then to the left. Does the sound get louder when you do this? If so this could be your pump going out. (check belts first though)

·
boosting
1,454 Posts
yeah probably just your alternator belt starting to loosen a little, since it went away right away but it will probably be back again at some point and less you tighten it.
sean

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do i go about tightening the belt....it may sound like a rookie question, but i really dont know. If someone could point me in the right direction, then that would be great. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Okay if the SE-R is like my XE on the alternator there is a bracket that mounts the top of the alternator to the engine. When you lossen it you can move the alternator more towards the grill (this would tighten the alt. belt) Or you could move it towards the windshield (this would loosen the belt.)

Merry Christmas

·
Old
744 Posts
Ferdie Dela Cruz said:
maybe you got the infamous start up clatter from the timing chain
I have both start up clatter and squeel. I thought it was from the started though!

BTW Brick NJ is the 5th safest place to live in the usa. Now doesn't that make your little NX feel safe!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts