SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i found a place tehat will sell me a rebuilt starter. and i know where the starter is it gos from the passenger side3 to drivers side BUT the wierd thing is that the bolts coem in from teh drivers side and feed to the passenger side.

so heres my dilemma, i had it up on a lift at the place that will sell me the starter. and it LOOKS as if I have to take out the x-member and the exaust system, axles, and then drop the whole engine tranny assembly to acces the bolts OR i have to pull off the intake manifold, fuel rails, and intake. does anyone know how to get at the bolts without dissasembleing my front end?

PM me, email me at [email protected] msn me at [email protected] if ANY of you guys ahve previous experiance dealing with this crap pictures would be sweet if you ahve them cause then i can get an idea

thanks in advance for all your help

Andrew

·
Registered
135 Posts
The only thing you might want to pull out is your intake...... you can reach the bolts from the top. Starter drops out the bottom, easy job. You can get to the bolts from the bottom but it's a bitch.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so just go in from the top after removing the just the intake dealine but not the manifold? which means this is definatly a 2 person job thanx muchly.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yeah, i just installed a starter on my NX last weekend. You only need to take the Intake off and that's it. Also helps to have someone helping you. And for me, it helped to have a one of those bending socket adapter so we could get it at an angle and loosen the bolts up... forgot what its called heres a pic haha:

kinda blurry but oh well

its a pretty easy job once u figure out where everything is and how to get to it. oh yeah, try to unplug the wire going to the Solenoid, i think it is, first... that was kind of annoying to do after the starter came down, seems like it might be easier that way.

im bad with names...

if u have any more questions u can send me a pm or AIM: hooliganink i'll do my best, its still pretty fresh in my memory

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
that looks like a pipe, ya crackhead, lol. jk.

noobie - It shouldn't take two people, ur making this sound harder than it really is. Stop stressin and take a deep breath, two bolt from the top, easy. oh Yeah like hooli said and the wires to the starter are best to take off while it is on the car, it is easier, lots.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok it just looks like its really damn awkward, i am gonna investigate tomorrow and spray a whole bunch o liquid wrench on it tomorrow to try and free it up :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
txnx said:
that looks like a pipe, ya crackhead, lol. jk.
ahahah!

yah NOOBIE u can probably do it alone. its just *easier* if u have a helper is all. except, i dont really see how ud get it back on with out some one helping! seems too awkward to do and keep patients. thats just me :tongue:

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
i always just prop it in there then slowly slide in the first bolt then slide my skinny little arm around and wiggle it in place for the last bolt simple one persone job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did this exact job on the weekend. Put the car on ramps, two bolts, just cracked the seal with a ring spanner, then undone by hand. The bolt closer to the front of the car required a ratchet to crack seal but undone by hand also, and I got that one from the top. Then its just a couple of wires. IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN DO IT. I am so unco when it comes to cars but this was really easy. I even pulled apart the starter motor, the solenoid stuck a bit so I put in a bit of penetrene and cleaned the armature. all up about 45mins. Works like new and I saved a shitload of cash. Did i mention I can't even service a car, BUT I DID THIS. Dont be scared noobie, do it, do it know!!! PM me for any questions. I can pull one of these suckers out in like 10 mins now. All ya need is the right tools and paitence, Oh and a really skinny arm which I have in my favour

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did this exact job on the weekend. Put the car on ramps, two bolts, just cracked the seal with a ring spanner, then undone by hand. The bolt closer to the front of the car required a ratchet to crack seal but undone by hand also, and I got that one from the top. Then its just a couple of wires. IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN DO IT. I am so unco when it comes to cars but this was really easy. I even pulled apart the starter motor, the solenoid stuck a bit so I put in a bit of penetrene and cleaned the armature. all up about 45mins. Works like new and I saved a shitload of cash. Did i mention I can't even service a car, BUT I DID THIS. Dont be scared noobie, do it, do it know!!! PM me for any questions. I can pull one of these suckers out in like 10 mins now. All ya need is the right tools and paitence, Oh and a really skinny arm which I have in my favour

1 - 11 of 11 Posts