SR20 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey for some reason whenever I start my car it sounds like my starter is grinding. That means its on its way out right guys? The car has about 86,000 miles so is that about the normal time for it to go out? Thanks guys! Also how much is it to replace it and is it a pain in the ass?

G

·
From the looks of it, it looks like a pain in the ass. My starter has been grinding at start up too. Its so embarassing. It only does it at the first start up in the morning.
After that its fine. Im going to call Sears, since i have a Sears Gold card ( lol ), and see how much they want.

------------------
-BUDGET RACER
-

-

G

·
Alright, the Nissan dealer here wanted $210/w exchange or $270 without exchange.
So theres a ballpark figure for ya.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Another cheaper route would be to buy a rebuild kit for your starter or price a rebuilt starter.

94_REDSE-R, What the hell are those two smiley faces doing to each other in your other post?

Ben
'93 NX2K

·
Got Boost ?
328 Posts
i've changed mine three times since i bought mine its a pain in the ass i recomend haveing some one help since you cant hold the starter and start the bolts at the same time

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats a good price on a starter? Im thinking of going to a Pep Boys or somewhere like that to get it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
when my starter went out it was making that grinding noise on the first start. then it went out. i did not have a starter for about a week. I was popping the clutch. It was kinda fun, until I rolled it down a hill and almost fell and lost the car!
The dealership told me the sr20 needs a "high torque" starter. he told me that a regular one would just go out quickly.
is this true?

------------------
The dirty rain falls in funky town
95ser W/s3,place race CAI,header,catback,JWT ECU,short throw,17" shoguns,kyb,pro lines,strut tower, yadda,yadda...

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NXBen:
[
94_REDSE-R, What the hell are those two smiley faces doing to each other in your other post?

Ben
'93 NX2K[/B]</font>
those smileys are getting their freak on!!
Isnt that great!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soopastank:
whats a good price on a starter? Im thinking of going to a Pep Boys or somewhere like that to get it.</font>
Andre Mikos is selling some for very cheap in the classified ..... He stuff is high quality ....

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
hey just buy the part and redoo the install yourself. it is easy, 2 bolts and one plug and one other wire. it may take you 10 minutes at the most. i had my starter in and out in like 10 minutes after i had replace my blown tranny.

jimmy
1996 200sx gti-r motor
http://www.eiptuning.com/projects/200sxser1stpage.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts