SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever its like 50 degrees below my starter makes this hideous squeal. When the car is warm no problem. If its above 50 no problem. I'm stumped.

·
EVO-lishus
127 Posts
I had a similar problem in my 96 SER..when cold..it would make this loud hideous squeal ..First i thought it was my belts slipping that was making the sound..but when i changed my belts with the new pullies the sound was still there..For some reason the late 95-96's have the bad hitachi starters..model#23300-63J01...The one that is recommended for replacement which is the one that i have now is #23300-63J10 its a Mitsubishi unit and its 147 bucks..from Courtesy.

G

·
0 Posts
Dont be woried about it. There is no reason to spent any money changing your starter. Most people have it and it is not limited to the newer cars. It is just annoying.

MarC

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well mine does it. Does it most of the time. Like a second of squeal most every time i start the car. Dont think there is anything to worrie about. George said its from the starter brushes wearing out. He said it has done it for 100,000 miles on his old engine and nothing bad yet. So until you cant start your car I wouldnt worry too much about it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My '94 had the same problem. I had the starter removed and lubed (the shaft is not retracting properly) and it's worked fine for 120,000 miles since. Definately get it fixed- you'll wear the flywheel out eventually. The fix cost about $40 for labor.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Is the procedure for that in the FSM or something? Would like to do that myself since my Hitachi starter started squealing sometimes after I removed it and reinstalled it during the turbo install.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not sure of the procedure- I took one look at the location of the starter and decided to have someone else do it. Not worth the hassle- check www.se-r.net for possible help.

G

·
0 Posts
Mine also started after I took it out and put it back in. Altho. mine was just for a clutch!

MarC

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Well, it wasn't just for the turbo, I had to take the tranny off to replace the rear main seal retainer.

Wow, look at those pics. I am hardcore dude!

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Well, I break **** too, but I can take my ****in car apart and fix it!

Ok, personal point of truimph over...

·
_______
3,640 Posts
You are one crazy wrench monkey! Nice pictures BTW. I can't wait to pull the head off my stock motor and look at the guts

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts