SR20 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i turn the key all it(the solenoid) does is click.

heres a little back round. friday i used an engine degreaser and rinsed it off then fired it up. i let the car run till all the water had evaporated. i still had quite a bit of degreaser left so i thought id hit it again since there was some spots i missed. once the engine cooled a bit i went at it. after letting it sit for a few minutes i rinsed the engine off and went to start the car and all i got was a click from the starter solenoid. i push started the car figuring something got wet so i warm up the engine to evaporate the water again. after it was all dry still nothing but a click.

the battery is fully charged, even tried a second battery. took off the starter and got it tested and they said it worked fine. bought a new starter cause i couldnt think of what else it could be, and still same problem. im trying to find some kind of relay but cant seem to find anything. i have read about ignition problems but those acted up before going out, so i dont think thats it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well after some checks with the volt meter i found the problem. as it turns out the little black wire which i thought might be a ground, is actually the power wire from the ignition and it was putting out 12v when "cranking". the 4 gauge cable coming from the battery to the solenoid was only getting 9v, when "cranking" only 5v made it to the starter motor. so i changed the main ground engine ground since it was the easiest to do, in hopes that since it was in pretty bad shape i wasnt getting enough ground. when that didnt work i knew it had to be the main power cable from the battery to the starter. after i changed that out, it started right up.

literally jumped for joy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts