SR20 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the starter out? My car died this morning and the starter was the cause (I checked the alternator and battery already). I need my car tomorrow so I decided to spend the whole day to replace the starter. After awhile I located it, but couldn't get it out! Decided to drop it off at the dealer, cuz they promised it would be ready by 3pm tomorrow. Why would Nissan engineers put the starter right below the intake manifold?? The space is very small and tight and also there was a black piece of metal right in front of it too! Anybody ever changed their starter before? Is there an easy way to take it out?? Any help would be appreciated and would save me a ton of money the next time my starter goes out.

------------------
96 200SX SE-R
Sportline Springs, PR CAI, HKS Exhaust

http://photos.yahoo.com/sr20ser

·
Registered
263 Posts
Speak of the devil! I just replaced my starter on my 96 200SX SE-R today, it died with approx 48000 miles on it.
Its not really that hard at all, the bolts are just hard to get at. Expect to spend an afternoon doing it, and it helps to have a friend along when you are putting the new one in at the end.
The Starter itself has two bolts that hold it in, they are on the transmission below on the intake manifold. Look carefully and you can see them, they are gold colored and 14mm. In addition to those bolts, there are two electrical connectors on the starter, and 4 bolts ou have to remove to get the y-brace out of the way to more easily get at the starter. To get at one of the bolts on the y-brace I had to remove a small bracket that keeps a hose in place. And to get as one of the starter bolts I had to remove the brace that holds the clutch cable. I put it back but somehow I released the clutch cable, I am gonna figure that out tomorrow.
What a mess just to get at the starter! But in the end it will be worth it, cause the dealer is gonna want over 400 dollars to replace it for sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts