SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang:

Just recently I noticed that my frigin steering wheel seems to be adjusting itself to the left. As If I am driving straight the wheel is not perfectly vertical, off by about 10-15 degrees. Also when I let go on a straight road, it will drift to the right at an unusual rate.

Another thing, when sitting at a light, in neutral, If I jerk the wheel left or right the RPMS race up about 4-500 for a second or two then fall back, everytime I jerk it. WTF? I remember taking a corner and getting on it about a month ago and thought I heard something hit the ground but I figured it was just a piece of metal in the road, this particular intersection is known for accidents. I inspected the steering assembly and could not see anything out of the ordinary at that time.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I loony or is there a problem in the rack somewhere? TIA gang! :D

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! At least that is off my mind. What do you think about the steering wheel being off center? I never got an alignment after I installed the wheels and springs. I was waiting until I got the AGX's installed, which should be within a week. Would not having an alignment actually make the wheel look 15 degrees turned to the left when the car is driving straight? :confused:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
ProjectSE-R said:
Thanks man! At least that is off my mind. What do you think about the steering wheel being off center? I never got an alignment after I installed the wheels and springs. I was waiting until I got the AGX's installed, which should be within a week. Would not having an alignment actually make the wheel look 15 degrees turned to the left when the car is driving straight? :confused:
When you change springs, shocks, tires, ride height, etc., the alignment will be off, and sometimes the steering wheel will be off-center when driving straight. You said you didn't get an alignment after installing new wheels and springs, and there's your answer. So, after you get your AGX's installed, get that alignment done.

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But check this out Andrew, the total tire diameter of the stock 195/55/15 tires is an exact match up for my current 205/40/17 setup. True, the springs would mess with it, but they have been on for about 3 months and I just noticed the steering wheel being cock-eyed! Maybe those 3 nights at the track with that infamous wheel hop had something to do with it?

At any rate, you are right, I am getting an alignment after the AGX's are installed! :D

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
John;

Question: Do you hear a 'pop' sound whenever you cut the wheel all the way, either right or left? More like a clunk, actually.

If yes...then you're answer lies in the spring perch on one of your struts. The rubber gasket that lies between the bottom of the spring and the spring perch has come out of whack, and your spring is binding on the perch.

Just a suggestion. Had it happen to me after having the springs off. It made the steering wheel go all cockeyed, just like you described.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NO Greg, no clunk or any sort of noise like that, I know what your talking about. Its really odd though, its like someone took the steering wheel off one night while I was asleep, rotated it to the left to about the 10 o'clock position, then reinstalled it. I dunno, gonna look at the steering setup from underneath when I have her up on the rack to change to the AGX setup.

Its funny too, when I get on the gas in first or second it will kinda go off to one side like I have mucho power! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts