SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of attaining Eibach Pro Kits and some KYB struts, but i'm under the impression that they may not alleviate my baby's symptoms...

here's the deal. the steering wheel has a considerable amount of freeplay. for example, while driving down the highway, (in a straight line, of course) and i let go of the wheel, it kinda sways back and forth. i can jiggle the wheel about 2 inches in either direction and the car tracks straight and true. not a wobble in sight.

when i go a little slower, like around 30-40mph, i can jerk the wheel about 3-4 inches left or right and the car exhibits the smallest amount of sway--something a passenger wouldn't notice if my arms weren't wailing back and forth like a moron--and the car still goes straight.

but, in either scenario, if i hold the wheel (instead of jerking or jiggling it), it kinda hesitates for a split second then goes where commanded. its not that big of a deal, but i only really notice it when i hop back in my 240, or my mom's VW Golf, or my dad's Accord or Lexus, or my friend's NX the steering feels so direct.

so, what do you think is causing this? worn shocks/struts? worn bushings somewhere? bad sway bars? all of the above? crappy tires? thanks in advance...

------------------
1991 Sentra SE-R
Cone intake, NismoBorla Exhaust, 19* timing, 2 12" Kicker Competitions, 125K miles

·
Registered
312 Posts
try getting the energy suspension steering rack bushings first and if that doesn't take care of your problem than it is likely that you may have either some bad tie rod ends or a bad rack....
How many miles you got on the car. my car has 143000 and i still have pretty tight steering. not quite as tight as my rx7 but close enough that i am not complaining.

------------------
92 SE-R w/ CAI by hotshot, Battery relocate by Me, Tunes by Sony and JL, And communications by Icom

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whoa! time to update my sig! just turned 126K

wouldn't bad tie rods/tie rod ends or whatever make a car "un" alignable? cuz i just had it aligned...cuz that's what happened with my mom's veedub. it had a bad tie rod so nobody could align it.

i'll try replacing those steering rack bushings. thanks rocketman

------------------
1991 Sentra SE-R
Cone intake, NismoBorla Exhaust, 19* timing, 2 12" Kicker Competitions, 125K miles

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
I replaced my steering rack not too long ago, and the stock rack bushings that came out were in very good condition. I was surprised that any rubber pieces on my 115k mile Classic would look good for that long.

It couldn't hurt to install new tie-rod ends with your new springs and struts - they're about $30/pair from a place like AutoZone. If that doesn't work, you might have to look at the tie rods themselves, which is no fun. Eliminate the simple things first: bad/underinflated tires, etc.

[I ordered ES steering rack bushings from Courtesy and had intended to install them with the new rack, but they came two months late. But that's a different story in itself.]

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
312 Posts
as a general rule if you have bad tie rod ends a shop will refuse to align it so yes i would say that uless these symptoms have started since the alignment your tie rods are probably ok.

If you wanna check for yourself though it isn't to hard. get the car up on jack stands and then have a helper grab the tire at the 3 and 9 position and move it back and forth while you are underneath looking for play.

I would almost bet though that with that low of mileage you probably just have bad rack bushings.

------------------
92 SE-R w/ CAI by hotshot, Battery relocate by Me, Tunes by Sony and JL, And communications by Icom

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bushings it is! (i hope...)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bushings is my guess.

------------------
Hot shot headers, custom cold air intake, mozart muffler, UR pulleys, 91 intake cam, 18* timing, P4000 tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts