SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BANNED!!eleven
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mine looks like a bag of whatever grotesque you can think of. whats a good one to get for under 150?
thanks
ben

·
BANNED!!eleven
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
post reply buttons work well. anyways. i agree. its not a bad looking steering wheel. do you have one?
as for the d shaped wheels, what does the d shape do?

·
8,148 Posts
Stirpicult said:
mine looks like a bag of whatever grotesque you can think of. whats a good one to get for under 150?
thanks
ben
Go to http://www.grantproducts.com and pick a wheel of your choice.

I got the shiftknob to match.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Has anyone with factory cruise mounted an aftermarket steering wheel and if so how did you deal with the cruise control buttons?

TIA

·
8,148 Posts
Stine said:
Has anyone with factory cruise mounted an aftermarket steering wheel and if so how did you deal with the cruise control buttons?

TIA
George Roffe did it on his G20. I think he put the cruise on his dash. Ask him.

·
SERCA-SoCal
801 Posts
i have a 92 w/ cruise and when i removed the steering wheel and replaced it with a momo corse w/ hub i did not see any extra connections for the cruise control except for the connection for the horn, one thing though the horn does not work. i had the same set installed in my previous 91 w/o cruise and the horn worked fine. is there a different type of adaptor hub for cars with cruise control in order for the horn to work?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Nope no hubs for cars with cruise. George prototyped one for his G20. I saw it at the convention it looked sweet. But the plans for mass producing it fell though i think. He used the cruise off a 240sx since it mounts on the bottom of a spoke and fit his wheel right. it was a slick install but totaly custom. he might be able to tell you how he did it and what works or dont work.

personaly i like the stock wheel alot. looks really good IMHO espcialy us 93 with airbags. wheel looks good and beefy.

·
8,148 Posts
Sunny said:
i have a 92 w/ cruise and when i removed the steering wheel and replaced it with a momo corse w/ hub i did not see any extra connections for the cruise control except for the connection for the horn, one thing though the horn does not work. i had the same set installed in my previous 91 w/o cruise and the horn worked fine. is there a different type of adaptor hub for cars with cruise control in order for the horn to work?
The horn can work. What my brother did is use a ballpoint pen spring and a rounded nail head to use as a contact between the horn pad on the back of the adapter and in the hole for the horn signal on the steering column. Thats what Ray Kawaski did to his NX2000 too. I'll ask him to post here too.

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
OK, here's the quick and dirty.

I have two 91s, an SE-R and a G20. This will work for a 91 or 92. If you have a air bag equipped car, you'll have to figure something out. If I had one, I probably could figure it out, but since I don't, I'm not particularly intersted in spending the time. Sorry. I've got too many projects.
Also, with an air bag equipped car, to even use the horn, you have to do the pen spring and nail or other metal piece trick. Or, you could install a wiper (I think) switch from an earlier car in yours (check to make sure it will fit though).

I used a switch from a U12 and have one from an S13. they are the same switch. There is a different intermediate connector, but it doesn't matter.

HUB:
First you must remove the MOMO horn ring. Remove the outer "ring" cast into the hub. I used a die grinder and files. Enlarge the hole for the wires so the intermediate connector will pass through. Be sure the rubber hub cover will hide the hole. Take the horn ring from the OEM wheel. Cut the "shafts" that the OEM ring to the wheel. I attached the OEM ring to the MOMO hub using RTV and a little HD tape around the center of the hub to make for a reasonably tight fit.

SWITCH:
See above for the source. I made a bracket out of 1/4" ABS plastic that I attached the switch to. I drilled and tapped holes in the MOMO wheel spokes to attach the bracket. Since I have a MOMO Runner wheel for both cars, there is a center cover that covers the bolts. For another wheel, you're on your own to figure it out.

I've already done this for my G20. I'll be doing it again soon for my SE-R. I'll try to take some photos and post the procedure either on my own website or on SE-R.net.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Forgot i had a pic of the wheel from the convention. quality not all that good but you can see what it looks like. best looking wheel setup ive ever seen apart from the stock unit.

Click here

G

·
Pretty White said:

The horn can work. What my brother did is use a ballpoint pen spring and a rounded nail head to use as a contact between the horn pad on the back of the adapter and in the hole for the horn signal on the steering column. Thats what Ray Kawaski did to his NX2000 too. I'll ask him to post here too.
Easiest thing to do is get the wiper arm from a car that had no air bag. Usually available at your local junk yard for like $10. Then take it apart and remove the copper pin that is sticking out. You do this by removing the cirucit board on the back. Install that pin into your car. If you have an SE-R w/ an airbag it may be as simple as that becuase the wiring is redundant and you want have to change anything else. If you have an NX you will need to run a wire. Looking at the connector that plugs to the wiper arm assembly with the wires going away from you. THe connector has 8 pins. 2 rows of four. Top row right most pin is probably vacant. You need to run a wire from there to the green wire that is in the wiring harness that used to connect to the airbag spiral cable. Once you've done that your horn will work.

To test you have the right wire just contact ground w/ the green wire and the horn will honk.

As for hooking up the cruise control you would probably have to do a little of what I did and a little of what Geo did to get it to work. With some wire hacking. Or you could mount the cruise to the dash using the mile long spriral cable as your connector cable. Just instead of having the spiral in the steering wheel you use it to get to your mounting point. Just connect it to the yellow wiring harness and your good.

Here are some pics:

http://www.cmpmhmr.cog.pa.us/~rkawski/pics/mods/horn/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts