SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend we did a little traveling. While passing through a town I noticed that if I slowed down real slow (20mph) but didn't downshift to second, that when I pushed on the gas again the steering wheel would wobble back and forth. It is most noticable in third gear at low rpms under alot of strain but it is detecable in all gears to some extent. I had thought the car felt like it was wobbling under heavy acceleration (like entering a busy highway from an on-ramp)but this was quite shocking to see the extent it can reach. Does this sound like a suspension/alignment problem? I am not the most mechanically knowledged person but when something on the car goes wrong, that's how I learn. The car is a 98 and only has 45k on it so I didn't expect problems yet. Perhaps someone has had this happen or has an idea of what to check first.

G

·
0 Posts
Ah yeah my steering wheel has the shakes only at 65mph +.. Also it comes and goes. I didn't lose my wheel weights. But I have 110K and never had an alignment so that has got to be it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
mine only has that "light/airy" feeling when im accelerating hard at 70+... but that's probably to be expected. otherwise the steering wheel feels quite solid

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. I checked the lug nuts, all tight. I did a visual inspection and nothing appears bent or broken but just visual doesn't do much good. I have now noticed that the car will do it as I am coasting up to a stop light with the clutch in. It is bad enough the car seems to wobble back and forth. Its just not noticable at high speeds because it wobbles too fast. This is obvoiusly past the drive train but where? Any other ideas of things to check before I have to take it to the shop. I drive 20 miles to and from work everyday and I would hate to be making an already expensive problem worse. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

G

·
0 Posts
Just got my car back after the alignment. My toe in/camber were off. The had to unbolt the struts and use shims on the front. What a difference. Cost $100 up from the $49 cause of the unbolting en such. Go to SEARS. They will check, if nothing is wrong you pay nothing. I have 6month 6k warranty.

G

·
0 Posts
oh yeah one more thing. MY CAR DRIVES SOOO MUCH BETTER NOW!!! So straight and tight on the highway now.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I think i know what your talking bout, check your wheel bearings or hub maybe, when they wore out, the wheel would wobble in and out, my car had that at low speeds but after 40mph it would go away...you can check by jackin up the wheels and putting your hands on top and bottom and shaking it...if there is play i would think its the bearings considerin your boots and axle were fine...but that my opinion and worth a shot at checking out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my dad ride with me this weekend and he said that a thrown wheel weight could definitely make it wobble that bad. I was skeptic but I guess its to the shop to have the wheels checked. If thats not it then its to Sears for an alignment. I can't remember having hit any bumps that bad recently but I've also moved to the Kansas City metro area in the last four months so the car has done more high speed turns than ever before. Entering and exiting highways EVERY time you want to go somewhere sucks after living in a small town. Hopefully this plan of attack will fix it. My fingers are crossed and thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Dont forget to check your tire pressure if you havent already, and then take it to get an alignment and get your wheels balanced if your pressures were ok. Hope this helps.

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White
K&N Cone intake, Bosal Performance muffler and 2.25" cat back

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man do I feel like an idiot. I had checked the tire pressure and all 4 were down around 20 pounds. I knew I should add air but didn't figure it was THAT big of deal. Especially after reading that alot of you drag with your tire at 20psi. Well, I'm not dragging but the car felt like it was about to break. So I finally went and increased pressure to 30 pounds after work the other night. Its a completely different car again. Acceleration is back up and no more wobble than should be expected on the highway. I guess I must have last aired them up when the temp was between 95-100 everyday and now we're around 75-80. Didn't think the difference would be that drastic or that 4 tires could lose 10psi from that temp change but there is no other explanation. Sorry for the stupidity but thanks for the suggestions. I now know what to check if the problem happens again.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hey man don't worry about it! I bet just about everybody on this board has done something simaler. Just remember next time to check the simplest things first
This doesn't apply only to cars either. Having been a systems administrator for about 8 years now I know the question "is it plugged in?" is NOT a stupid question by any stretch.

Glad your car is running well again, enjoy the ride..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts