SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, just ordered my Stillen headers yesterday ,WOOHOO! Can anyone out there give me some tips on installation that has done this already? Just the typical dos and donts to make my life a lot easier! I thought the short throw shifter instal was going to be a 15 minute job last night.....ummmm, no. After a few heatshield broken studs and some finaggling, its on, and shifts oh soooo much better! TIA!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Why did you order from $tillen? Should have went with the HotShot one instead. Many of the guys on this board can atest for their Hotshot product and the difference made from it as well as the overall look. That you can tell its made well. Either way headers are one of the biggest bang for the buck so sit back and enjoy the feel of a new mod.

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER....now with HS Gen 4 Headers

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAHAHA! Stillen screwed up my card exp date so I told them to forget it. I talked with Craig and got the 3rd gen Hotshots! WOOHOO! Thanks for the info! Cant wait for this bad boy to come in now!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you tell a decent difference after it was on? I have a CAI and cat back exhaust and I am hoping that the 3 combined will be a significant gain on top of stock. LATER!

[This message has been edited by ProjectSE-R (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Oh hell yeah! When my se-r was stockish (just a POP and 21 deg timing) I ran a [email protected] at the drag strip. I upgraded to a PR CAI, Greddy Exhaust, and HS headers. That netted me a [email protected] at the same strip! I was running 16" wheels with 40 series tires at 23 psi too. If I would had me some slicks, I think I could have gotten 14.5. Believe me, man...you'll love it. But then you'll want more, so you'll find yourself dropping a G on an ECU and cams! Then you'll really fly.

Good luck!

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HOT DAMN! The Hotshots are great! I can feel a difference especially in 3rd and above. I went to Cincinnati this weekend for a concert and had 2 kills, and I didnt provoke either of them! One was an 80's BMW 635 CSI, ( didnt sound too hot ), and then a 97 or 98 Prelude VTEC with a body kit and some fat cannon for an exhaust. I dont think it was the Type SH, didnt see the badging for it, just the VTEC. Funny thing was, my cutoff didnt intitiate until around 114MPH, but by that time I had my exhaust staring at his headlights. Guess the JWT CPU is next, then cams, yadda yadda... Thanks for eveyones input and stopping me from making the mistake of getting the $tillen Headers!!!!

------------------
95 200SX SE-R--> PR CAI, Cat Back, ST Shifter & Hotshot Headers, Viteks and Iridium, a bunch of stiffening and look good crap, & JWT CPU COMING SOON!

G

·
Hey Project se-r, did you put the headers on yourself, or did you have them installed. Do you have any tips? Where did you get the exhaust manifold gasket from?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I installed them myself. It was pretty easy, a lot more than I had thought. I got the only gasket that I was told to use with the aftermarkets, Mr. Gasket Copper, from Acceleration Plus. It was like $25. I would use new header nuts and yokes/washers, definitely, you may be able to get by with using the original studs. It all depends on what condition yours are in. My studs looked great plus I only have 59,000 miles. Just be prepared to fight the 2 cat nuts that bolt to the secondary pipe, they were a bitch to me! Everything else went smooth, be sure to clean the old gasket off the head if you have any residue on it after pulling it off. I used a fine wire brush, of course I plugged the exhaust holes. If you ahve access to compressed air, shoot the entire thing once you have removed the old gasket material so the new copper gasket will have a flush surface to seat against. Thats pretty much it, as far as any thing I ran into. Good luck!

------------------
95 200SX SE-R--> PR CAI, Cat Back, ST Shifter & Hotshot Headers, Viteks and Iridium, a bunch of stiffening and look good crap, & JWT CPU COMING SOON!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts