SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">One more quick question. Any ideas where I could go to get the header put on? I
doubt I could do it myself.</font>
It's really not that hard. Especially if you have the right tools. It takes some time, so I hope you won't need the car for a day or two (or have another car).

Tips: I removed all the emmisions crap from the front of the engine. I took the radiator fans out. Probably not completely necessary, but made it much roomier in there.

Spray muratic acid on all the rusty bolts (don't get this stuff in your eyes!). This stuff really eats the rust off. Let it sit for a few minutes (10-15). Spray it off with water. Then spray all the bolts with WD-40. Sounds like a lot of work, but it makes removing the header bolts and cat bolts much easier.

After you install the header and before you start it up, be sure to wipe it down with alcohol to remove all your finger prints.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
415 Posts
Doesn't sound *that* bad. Last year, I had the stock pipe that connects to the header replaced (It was badly rusted). My Dad's friend who is a mechanic did it. It took him about an hour-hour and a half. I'm gonna have my Dad talk to him, and see if he's up to putting a header on, 'cause I'm too much of a sissy to do it myself. I can drive my Dad's 5-speed G20
if it takes the guy more than a day to put the new header on. The biggest things I put on my car by myself were the intake, wheels, head unit, and speakers, lol. I'm not too experienced, I would say. Thanks again for all your help, Matt. I really appreciate it.

------------------
1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R (5-Speed Manual)
STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake System
STILLEN Performance Exhaust System
15x7 Kosei K1 Silver Racing Wheels
195/50 ZR 15 Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Tires

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Thanks
again for all your help, Matt. I really appreciate it.
</font>
Anytime
I kinda enjoyed doing mine. If I lived near ya, I'd lend a hand too.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
The header install isn't *that* bad....unless you do it at the 144,000 mile mark, like I did. Sheesh. Bolts were frozen all over the place.
ESPECIALLY the ones on the catalytic converter (hint, hint). It took a cutting wheel to finally do the job on mine, then had to have it towed to the exhaust shop for them to do some welding. My car was down for 3 days or so...
Yes, it will make a difference on the car. I have the crappy Pacesetter header that everyone on here seems to hate, and even it made a difference.
In fact, I seem to remember seeing a couple used headers for sale over at www.SE-R.net yesterday....you *may* want to check them out. Could save you some money.

·
Registered
858 Posts
ok where in jersey is the geek out to hook you up? beer and lots of cheese burgers please!

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I know what you mean. When my Dad's friend put on my STILLEN muffler and new stock cat-back pipe, the existing bolts had to be welded off due to rust. I wasn't present when my new down-pipe (the pipe from the header to the cat) was put on, but I'd imagine those bolts had to be welded off too.

I have read all there is about headers on SE-R.net, but haven't checked the classifieds yet. I will do that soon, good idea, thanks. I payed close attention to the article by Mike Kojima. It compared and contrasted the newest generation Hotshot and STILLEN headers, along with other brands. I'm leaning towards the STILLEN because Kojima claims the Hotshot is meant more for heavily modified cars, with more of a gain on the top-end, as opposed to STILLEN which is meant for stock to minimally modified cars (i.e., mine) with more of a low-end gain. Additionally, I am satisfied with the products I have bought from STILLEN so far, and their header is about 15 bucks cheaper than Hotshot's (Not by much, but still cheaper).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERprise In WV:
The header install isn't *that* bad....unless you do it at the 144,000 mile mark, like I did. Sheesh. Bolts were frozen all over the place.
ESPECIALLY the ones on the catalytic converter (hint, hint). It took a cutting wheel to finally do the job on mine, then had to have it towed to the exhaust shop for them to do some welding. My car was down for 3 days or so...
Yes, it will make a difference on the car. I have the crappy Pacesetter header that everyone on here seems to hate, and even it made a difference.
In fact, I seem to remember seeing a couple used headers for sale over at www.SE-R.net yesterday....you *may* want to check them out. Could save you some money.
</font>
------------------

[This message has been edited by Chris93SER (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
8,148 Posts
Additionally, I am satisfied with the products I have bought from STILLEN so far, and their header is about 15 bucks cheaper than Hotshot's (Not by much, but still cheaper).

You must be the first. I have a Stillen header and wish to gosh I got the Hotshot.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What is your reason(s) for being dissatisfied with the stillen header? Is it the older 4-2-1 or new 4-1 design?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pretty White:
You must be the first. I have a Stillen header and wish to gosh I got the Hotshot.</font>
------------------

G

·
HotShots will most definitely give you more hp than the Stillen piece. I had the Stillen gen. 1 4-2-1. I now have the HotShot Gen. 4. The HotShot blows Stillen out of the water, especially for only a couple dollars more. Just an FYI, the Gen. 2 Stillen 4-2-1 won't fit on the '91-'931/2 G20, I know first hand. Another thing, check your bolts first before you recieve the header to make sure they can be removed easily. That way you can have the swap done in a couple of hours. Only took me 3 hours, taking my sweet time, 2 beers, and lots of liquid wrench. BE SURE TO PUT ANTI-SEIZE ON ALL BOLTS WHEN INSTALLING YOUR NEW HEADER.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks for the information. I gotta decide between the Stillen and the HotShot. The more I read about the HotShot, the better it sounds. Well, I've got plenty of time to decide.

One last question. Do Nissan dealers do installation of aftermarket products, such as a header?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by niska:
HotShots will most definitely give you more hp than the Stillen piece. I had the Stillen gen. 1 4-2-1. I now have the HotShot Gen. 4. The HotShot blows Stillen out of the water, especially for only a couple dollars more. Just an FYI, the Gen. 2 Stillen 4-2-1 won't fit on the '91-'931/2 G20, I know first hand. Another thing, check your bolts first before you recieve the header to make sure they can be removed easily. That way you can have the swap done in a couple of hours. Only took me 3 hours, taking my sweet time, 2 beers, and lots of liquid wrench. BE SURE TO PUT ANTI-SEIZE ON ALL BOLTS WHEN INSTALLING YOUR NEW HEADER.</font>
------------------

·
Registered
415 Posts
I really want to get a STILLEN header for my car, but the fact that their magazine says it's not meant for street use disturbs me. What causes the header to not be street legal? Is it an emissions issue? I passed inspection in April of this year, so I do not need to have my car inspected for another 2 years, which by then I will probably have sold my car. If I do get the header, and do have the car another 2 years, is there any possible way I could pass inspection in NJ with it? Pushing the inspection stuff aside, with my car only having very light mods (intake and exhaust), would a header make a noticeable difference performance-wise? Woah, I sure asked a lot of questions. I appreciate any answers you guys have, as I know many of you are very knowledgeable when it comes to the SR20DE. Thanks in advance.

------------------

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My hotshot header said the same thing. It's just something they say so they can't be responsible for you getting a ticket/fine for anything possibly related to their product.

They can go to court if necessary and say "Don't blame us. We told him it was for off road use only..."

I think it's a standard legal disclaimer. It means nothing. AFAIK, a header has little/no effect on emmisions (as long as all the EGR and assorted emmisions crap are hooked up!)

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Matt. All of my emissions stuff (EGR, etc.) is in working order. My CAT may need to be replaced though. I had had a high level of NOx emission when I got inspected in April (I passed though). I am going to look into buying the STILLEN header after I get my last paycheck from my summer job (Early August). Thank you, again.

------------------

·
Registered
415 Posts
One more quick question. Any ideas where I could go to get the header put on? I doubt I could do it myself.

------------------

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey redman, I see you have the Stillen 4-1 header. How do you like it?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redman007:
ok where in jersey is the geek out to hook you up? beer and lots of cheese burgers please!
</font>
------------------

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Niska, are you sure that header won't fit on the G20? It's the same engine, of course. Is there something in the way perhaps? </font>
Yeah, he is right, the alternators are different on the G20 and the B13

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris93SER:
What is your reason(s) for being dissatisfied with the stillen header? Is it the older 4-2-1 or new 4-1 design?

</font>
I have the Gen2 4-2-1 with the dent in the downpipe. Put the HS and the Stillen side by side and you will see why I want the HS.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts