SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
VVL - Very Very Loud™
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a lot of people just taking their stock flywheel and getting it lightened and balanced. how good is this? is there any disadvantage, i have been told by others that it will make it weak, and it could shatter and break the tranny, is that a concern i should have?
i want to get it done, and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper, it wont be as light as aftermarket ones, but still lighter than what i have.

let me know, i want to be sure something bad wont happen to it, like breaking.

thanks

------------------
Serban Gavrilescu
91 Black Metallic SE-R
146.5hp & 131.6lb-ft torque

Serban's SE-R Page

·
Registered
98 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fast91SER:
I've heard a lot of people just taking their stock flywheel and getting it lightened and balanced. how good is this? is there any disadvantage, i have been told by others that it will make it weak, and it could shatter and break the tranny, is that a concern i should have?
i want to get it done, and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper, it wont be as light as aftermarket ones, but still lighter than what i have.

let me know, i want to be sure something bad wont happen to it, like breaking.

thanks

</font>
i would suggest getting it balanced.. and not even lightening it

lightweight flywheels are cool in concept
but a lot of road racing drivers choose against it

lightening the flywheel will force you to shift quicker to properly match the revs.. pulling the shift lever harder is gonna work the gear synchros more.. shortening the life of your synchromesh

also.. when the flywheel is lightened.. driveability is decreased.. a lightweight flywheel doesnt have as much rotational inertia.. so starting off at a red light is gonna get tiresome and become a pain in the @$$

------------------
Shawn
-----
current car(s):
1989 Acura Integra LS
1997 200SX SE-R
1973 Super Beetle

Next car:
AE86 Corolla GT-S or
S13 Nissan 240SX (16V DOHC, not 12V SOHC)

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shadowboy:
lightening the flywheel will force you to shift quicker to properly match the revs.. pulling the shift lever harder is gonna work the gear synchros more.. shortening the life of your synchromesh
</font>
Huh? Why would you have to shift harder becasue of a lightened flywheel? I have a stock lightened flywheel in my Turbo car and I love it. I can shift like a girl and be fine or a I can shift like a maniac and be just the same. I even have the ACT 6 Puck and don't have any problems launching the car from a red light. No stalling, no bucking, no hard shifting.

------------------
David De Anda
Turbo Sentra SE
HTA Drag Squad

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You need to drive a car with a light flywheel and you wont believe the differance. it's like new car. I'v had my 9lb alum. in for about 50k and have had no problems at all. One of the best mods I'v made. IMHO james

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I ASK THIS QUESTION BEFORE (IN ANOTHER FORUM)AND GEORGE ROFFY TOLD ME THAT IS NOT A PROBLEM TO TAKE OFF WEITH OF THE STOCK FLYWHELL ,ACTUALY I HAVE DONE THIS ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO I HAVENT PROBLEMS ,IT FEEL VERY DIFERENT LIKE IF YOU TAKE A PASSANGER OUT THE CAR.HOPE THIS HELP

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've had my light flywheel for awhile now. I've never noticed any problems at all with it. It took less than a day to get used to driving from a standing start, but after that, I didn't even notice the difference in drivability. I do notice a kick ass improvement in performance though. The negative effects may seem to make sense in words, but are very small and unnoticeable compared to the positive effects it has on your driving experience. And try to get an aftermarket one instead of shaving your stock flywheel down. Its been shown that you can only shave about 4lbs off your stock flywheel safely. Aftermarket flywheels are typically 8-9lbs lighter than stock.

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
egg-less
348 Posts
I've had my aftermarket flywheel for about 2 years, and I agree it is a definite performance enhancer. The engine spools up much quicker in 1st and noticeably quicker in 2nd. There is a page on SE-R.net which describes why there is less noticeable improvement as you go higher in gears. The only "problem" I had was needing to add a couple hundred RPM to start out in 1st gear, but it didn't take long to get used to (a couple of days) and again, the performance gain is well worth it.

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Speaking of light weight flywheel,
What is the cheapest out there.
I see some in summit and other places going for around $500.00 I was wanting to buy one but I only would like to spend around $300.00

Any companies sale a flywheel that cheap?
Darren

------------------
91 Classic running 9.6's in 1/8 W/ Header& PR CAI

·
Registered
858 Posts
I spent 300 bucks on the zex 10.5 lbs chromoly flyheel and love it! stock is 18.5. it was on sale .check zex.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header, ACT HDS/S clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

·
Registered
194 Posts
well, i'm a part-time roadracer, dragracer and i love my JUN flywheel!! if i had to do it all over again, i would've got the 9.5 lb. flywheel instead of the 10.5 lb. one i'm currently using.

for roadracing, its MUCH easier to match rpms, to drop two gears, going from 120+ mph down to 60 mph, to go into the first turn. next, when you're finishing up your apex, you'll pull alot harder out of the turns. hell my car only pulls a 15.5 quatermile without nitrous, and me running NA, i've been able to keep up or pull in other se-rs when we're coming out of turns and they are running mid 14's in the quartermile!

for dragracing, it's easier to bog, sure, but once you get used to the flywheel, you can totally control and modulate wheelspin. my personal best so far is a 2.16 60 foot time on street tires. i'm guessing here, but on a bone stock se-r, if you put a JUN flywheel on and a decent clutch, it would be worth about 2/10's in the quartermile.

in my personal opinion, you're not going to notice a 2 or 3 pound reduction from a stock flywheel.

even with a 10.5 lb. flywheel, drivability is awesome. i've been in traffic, traffic going up a hill, etc. hopefully what i'm getting at is that on **some** other cars there may be alot of negatives. but from what everybody i've talked to who roadrace, dragrace there se-rs with all sorts of different setups as far as how they make there horsepower, they love their flywheel as much as i do.

my .02

[This message has been edited by nitrous_50 (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
What would be the most you could take off a stock flywheel without jepordizing the flywheel and transmission?

------------------
96 200sx Rice Mobile! Bone Stock..he,he,he

·
Registered
858 Posts
Zex.com and the dealer I used `was full throttle in queens, ny. forgot their # but tell them RED sent you if you call information.for the zex special if it's still on. go for the 9.5lbs if you can.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header, ACT HDS/S clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
FWIW I have a GA16, however I had my flywheel lightened from 18 to 11 LBS. I have had it on the car with the ACT street/strip and have about 7 auto x events and over 50 strip passes on it with NO problems. The driveability issues disappear in about a week, just takes a little time to adjust. I know I am not making the kind of HP that the typical SR20 does, but I thought I'd share my experience with this.

late,
wes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts