SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a need to store my car for about 6 months. I have a car cover to protect it from the elements, but I want to know what I should be doing mechanically like disconnect the battery etc. Any tips?

Mark J
94 Classic w Header/CAI

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd remove and flush out all fluids out such as coolant,motor/tranny oil.... and put the car on jack stands so it won't sit on the rims when the tires go flat, and crack the windows just a bit so air can circulate into the car.
**This is what I would do but I'm definitly no expert at this!!
Nick

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
This is a longish post to a SHO mailing that John Heer forwarded to the SE-R List a while back:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Unless you are going to store it for more than a couple of months, there is not much to do except disconnect or remove the battery and make sure the oil/anti-freeze is fresh and the gas tank is full.

I don't believe in gas additives, most gas won't go bad unless it's undisturbed for more than a year.

There are some excellent covers available and even a couple of "bags" that even should keep out critters. Don't use any of these if
the wind can get to your car even a little bit. You won't have much paint left on the corners of your car if it does. For most storage (or even just driving in the winter) make sure your car has a good coat of wax (don't leave it on in storage, wipe it off) and treat the vinyl with a good preservative (not Armor All, I prefer Meguires vinyl treatment/cleaner) and clean the upholstery and carpets. Don't use a lot of water on cloth/carpet, I like the clear multi-purpose cleaner you can get at K-mart etc. Spray it on the carpet in a fine mist and wipe with a bath towel. This stuff dries quick and leaves a fresh smell. Using water just promotes mold and mildew. Make sure the interior is COMPLETELY dry and if you have good inside storage leave your windows cracked just a bit.

I have used old sheets to cover my best cars for years and they work fine. They are also easier to wash than a huge car cover. Three full size sheets can cover almost anything. don't let them drag the floor, it promotes vermin climbing them.

Don't worry about running the injectors out of gas, (I have never had a carburetor get mucked up, they just evaporate and you have to crank the car to fill the bowl again). Don't start the car for a few minutes every week. If you can't get the car out and drive it for 1/2 an hour and get it to highway speeds, it's better to not start the car at all. Starting and letting it idle for a few minutes and then shutting it off just puts lots of condensation (water) in the
crankcase and exhaust system.

Also don't worry about putting the car on jack stands. The springs don't take a "set" and it's motion that wears them out, not setting still. If you put the car on stands to keep the tires from sitting (or for security) then put the stands under the suspension to keep the suspension from drooping which will hurt the rubber bushings and expose parts to air (struts) that should not be.

Don't store tires near an electric motor (furnace/pump/etc). The ozone put off by the motor will hurt tires more than anything except direct sunlight.

Store the battery in a warm location if possible and charge it at least once a month with a trickle charger. There are chargers that are supposed to keep it up automatically, but I never leave anything plugged in that has a remote possibility of catching fire.

Don't use mothballs in the interior...you will spend the next four years getting the smell out. Do put mouse bait out around the perimeter of the garage if you think you have a mouse problem. Use Roach Pruff in
all the dark places(garage, not in the car), this stuff really works!

A couple other thoughts, be sure to over-inflate your tires by about 5 pounds. If you put your car on jack stands (not really necessary with radial tires) support it by the suspension NOT the frame. Leaving the wheels drooping for 6 months encourages rust on the exposed strut sections, plus you put all the suspension bushings into a tension (or extension) state that can harm them.

P.S. If you have an unheated storage space, a layer of plastic covered with old carpet is a great vapor barrior. Most car rust is caused by sweating concrete floors keeping the underside moist.
</font>
I suspect some of that might be overkill for what you're doing.

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited 10-15-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts