SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the run down. Last July I dynoed at 142whp. This Feb I added a JWT ECU and saw a 7whp decrease. I switched the ECUs back and the stock ECU was showing a loss too. I've noticed a loss in power at 3000rpm until ~4000. I took the lower tube of my CAI to make it a WAI. No change. Swapped the stock computer back in, a little better, but still there. Then I put my OE intake back on, but with the top part upside down. My timing is at 15 deg with both ECUs. The car is back to its old self again with the OE airbox. Any ideas? I had a crack in my header between the #1 and #4 primary that was welded(outside of the car) and I put my OE plug wires back in instead of my Magnicores. I also cleaned the TB and replaced the gasket. There were no air leaks that I could tell. All hose clamps and hoses were tight. This sucks.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, all this is in the '96. The other 2 are still fast as hell.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Damn 96's!!

That is very strange. Mostly how you lost 7hp with the JWT ECU. My gut feeling is something else went wrong with your car between the dynos.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES Bushings, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think the JWT ECU was the reason for the power loss. I ran the car again a few days afterwards and switched the ECUs, and both showed a power loss. The JWT ECU showed a 2 hp increase over the OE, but it was still under 140whp. I may try to do a few more runs and try swapping intakes and see what does what. Right now I'm using the butt dyno, and I can tell a difference. In 5th gear at 3000 rpm, it was hard to pass people, now its not as bad. I do have the wrong ECU ( S3/S4 program) and that will be taken care of in DC. Mike K is going to look at my car there and see what its problems are.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Hey Eric,

My car acts "moody" too. I have no idea why and I've gone through some of what you're doing. I've checked for cross-firing, dirty TB, etc. It's like, some days the car runs INCREDIBLE and other days it runs like DOG ****. I don't understand it either. Weather hasn't been a factor, the TB hasn't been a factor, and the intake hasn't been a factor, either. The only other thing I can think of is EGR? I dunno...

One day I did the ultimate tune-up with new NGKs, cleaned the Magnecors with denatured alcohol, cleaned the TB, cleaned the Filter, changed the oil, drained the fuel tank, changed the fuel filter, and basically cleaned as I went. The car ran incredible again. That was 6 months ago, and while it still for the most part runs great, it has its moments, just not as many as before.

Let us know what you find and I'll keep playing, too.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem didn't go away until I switched the OE airbox back in. Jacen, I'll look at the CAI and make sure it doesn't have any leaks. I used some RTV gray on the temp sensor holes just to make sure that wasn't it. I'll also clean the EGR, but I don't think that was it. Its not moody from day to dsay, its moody all the time.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Eric,
Did the problem go away when you did all of those changes or did the OE airbox solve the problem by itself?
If the airbox did it, maybe one of your emissions tubes to the CAI had a leak somehow? Look at the nipples on the upper tube, especially the welds, and make sure they are OK.
If you put the JWT ECU in, does it lose power again or does it work fine now?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts