SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to put my new Spec Clutch on, when I noticed that one of the 6 bolts that holds the Pressure Plate to the flywheel was sheered in half, and inside the flywheel!! so it sits flush with the flywheel, there isnt any metal sticking out to grab onto. I want to be very careful cuz its a Fidanza... what should I do?

also - is the pressure plate supposed to be flush with the flywheel? I can get it flush when I dont have the clutch disc in between them, (did it just to line up the holes), but when i put the disc in to actually install the whole thing, it wont go flush anymore.

also - The bolt was not stripped by me, it was stripped by the person who put the clutch on or swapped my tranny. Could this have been the reason my ACT disc had a spring break out?

·
..word..
690 Posts
This happened to me in my swift when I overtightened the bolts that came out.
I had no problem using a small pick to spin the rest of the threaded part of the bolt out. I might have used 2 of them (one on each side of the bolt, located on the same side of the flywheel - sorry, hard to explain).

Hopefully its as freely spinning as mine was.

·
SR20DETERMINED
1,540 Posts
either that you might just have to use and easy out kit. that must stink, i think if anything more would have gone wrong when i was changing out my clutch i would have lost it. lol. but oh well, it happens

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
If that bolt head was sheered off, someone really over torqued those bolts. I don't recall the spec off hand, but its not much. Could it possibly been damaged by the spring bouncing around in there?

When you install the disc, you're going to use the pressure plate bolts to draw the plate flush with the flywheel.

·
Registered
377 Posts
yes, easy out is your best friend, I will be using one to extract the broken stud out of my head here soon when it gets a bit warmer

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. where can i get this easy out kit? sears or a local hardware store?

I think it must have been the bolt that caused the spring to break...but maybe it was the other way around. who knows...

·
Registered
377 Posts
yeah go to sears, while you're there pick up a center punch if you don't already have one, and a few cobalt drill bits. center punch the bolt, drill a small pilot hole, then a bigger hole, then try a smaller easy out, or a bigger one, take your time. it should come right out

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does anyone know the part numbers for these bolts?? I went to buy one at the stealership, but the guy said there were 8 of them, and theres only 6. also they are 5.66 each... how could such a small bolt be so expensive?? i didnt believe him so i didnt buy it.

·
Looking for a new B13....
217 Posts
Hey Nutty--Your asking about flywheel bolts then--there are 8 holding the flywheel to the crank. you need the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel.
P.N.---01121-00772
Cost----1.78 list price]
When you get drill bits..save yourself some time and just purchase left hand drill bits..chances are you wont need a remover because you'll be driling and the bit will catch and it will back itself out.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aha...thanks. I did mention the flywheel to the guy, so maybe that threw us off. someone else I know mention left handed drill bits. I think ill give those a try...

·
Banned
361 Posts
hey nate it's justin-i have an easy out kit just give me a call and i can swing by and give you a hand-late

1 - 12 of 12 Posts