SR20 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
I have never used an impact in all of the bazillion times I've had mine off. Last time was the same as everytime. started by hand, made up with an extension and socket, then used the ratchet when it got tight. As soon as I started to torque it, it let go. I just chalked it up to wear and tear from old age.

John

i drilled through the cross member holes throught the frame and now i have 2 grade 8 bolts washers and a couple nuts holding it up in the front. i was planning on doing the same with the back but ill have to drop the subframe for that.

serchef said:
i drilled through the cross member holes throught the frame and now i have 2 grade 8 bolts washers and a couple nuts holding it up in the front. i was planning on doing the same with the back but ill have to drop the subframe for that.
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing since my crossmember looks like this:

Witt19 said:
i stripped mine too, an impact never touched those bolts. I agree that they are very easy to strip. I just retapped mine to a larger size and its been all good since ;)
A larger size? With what thread? I am intimidated by the helicoil. I do not want to drill out the hole and make it too big.
Also, Helicoil is not cheap and you will only use liek 2 tops? What do you do, sell the rest back to someone as used?

serchef said:
What size drill bite did you use?

i just had a post about this...

luckily i didnt damage the threads on the car at all, just mutilated the bolts... completely destroyed them...

i tapped the car threads just to clean em out and they took new bolts like champs

dont remember my x member is welded into place in the rear and is still going strong in the front.

ive only got 1 bolt holding mine, its always pretty easy to put on when your motor mounts are older but when you do the inserts you can really tell the difference.

www.e-taps.com

theyre in FL i believe... i got my stuff in like 3 days and im on the best, I mean, west coast :)

http://www.e-taps.com/ofertapage 002.htm

$6.50 for a M10x 1.25 Bottoming Tap....
^Great link and it still works lol. Prices have went up since 2004 lol. So what do I need to order? Just the bottom?

^^yup, that thing doesnt align for sh*t. Had to get a screw driver to align it cause it was putting to much stress on the bolt.
thats the thing about those finer pitch threads man, sometimes it feels like theyre going on straight, but by the time you realize they didnt, its too late... hehehe another factor i believe to cause that is that several people usually scrape that crossmember or have worn out mounts so alot of different pressures ar applied to it, so it may not line up exactly right... I too have never had a problem with mine and just put it on the other day, but those are just some things i can imagine that would cause that... usually a quick fix unless you really monkey gunk up the threads both on the member and the bolts....
^That's what happen to me lol.

You can get a tap anywhere, at lowes, homedepot, ace hardware, sears, or almost any hardware store
^So I can get this at LOWES?

Get a heli-coil kit for it

^Got this from google. Is this what I need to get? Anything else? Can I get it from Advance?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.