SR20 Forum banner

Stripped crossmember

6K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  rockyrodriguez 
#1 ·
I stripped the crossmember bolt hole in the front when I was putting it back on. I did my front and rear mounts today, also did the shifter bushings. Today was a bitch. Im never doing this again, haha. Anyway, I need to know what size tap to use for the bolt holes on the front of the cross member. TIA :tongue:

#4 ·
how bad is it? did you force it in pretty far, or just a couple threads? anyhow, let me check my tools when i get home. i've done this before, so hopefully i can find the tap and die whereever i put it.

#5 ·
When I stripped mine, there was no retapping them. I ended up have to go get a Standard thread helicoil, as it was all I could find. It's not a super hard job, just take your time.

John

#6 ·
damn i did the same to mine on one of my holes to the crossmember mine isnt that bad its just like threads that are bad i stoped rite away when i saw it wasnt going in rite.

#11 ·
Damn, seems like its a normal thing when putting the cross member on. That thing freakin stressed me out, haha. I never wanna do that again. Thanks guys for specs, but now I have no Idea where to buy it. I didnt strip out the entire thing, it was just starting to cross thread so I backed it out, now I need a starting tap.

#31 ·
www.e-taps.com

theyre in FL i believe... i got my stuff in like 3 days and im on the best, I mean, west coast :)

http://www.e-taps.com/ofertapage 002.htm

$6.50 for a M10x 1.25 Bottoming Tap....
^Great link and it still works lol. Prices have went up since 2004 lol. So what do I need to order? Just the bottom?

^^yup, that thing doesnt align for sh*t. Had to get a screw driver to align it cause it was putting to much stress on the bolt.
thats the thing about those finer pitch threads man, sometimes it feels like theyre going on straight, but by the time you realize they didnt, its too late... hehehe another factor i believe to cause that is that several people usually scrape that crossmember or have worn out mounts so alot of different pressures ar applied to it, so it may not line up exactly right... I too have never had a problem with mine and just put it on the other day, but those are just some things i can imagine that would cause that... usually a quick fix unless you really monkey gunk up the threads both on the member and the bolts....
^That's what happen to me lol.

You can get a tap anywhere, at lowes, homedepot, ace hardware, sears, or almost any hardware store
^So I can get this at LOWES?

#13 ·
I don't see how all you guys are stripping those bolts. I've had my crossmember off too many times to count, and I've never had a problem. I always thread the botls by hand, then use the rachet.

#14 ·
thats the thing about those finer pitch threads man, sometimes it feels like theyre going on straight, but by the time you realize they didnt, its too late... hehehe
another factor i believe to cause that is that several people usually scrape that crossmember or have worn out mounts so alot of different pressures ar applied to it, so it may not line up exactly right... I too have never had a problem with mine and just put it on the other day, but those are just some things i can imagine that would cause that... usually a quick fix unless you really monkey gunk up the threads both on the member and the bolts....

#19 ·
When i did my first clutch job way back when, I jsut put a jack under the motor to help support it then pulled the driver axle and unbolted the trans. That wasn't bad at all and the crossmemeber never moved. So, ever since then, i have just pulled the motor out the top and left the crossmember in.

Brent

#20 ·
eric96ser said:
I don't see how all you guys are stripping those bolts. I've had my crossmember off too many times to count, and I've never had a problem. I always thread the botls by hand, then use the rachet.
Thats exactly why it does not strip. You do it by hand. Airguns kill the crossmember.

#21 ·
I have never used an impact in all of the bazillion times I've had mine off. Last time was the same as everytime. started by hand, made up with an extension and socket, then used the ratchet when it got tight. As soon as I started to torque it, it let go. I just chalked it up to wear and tear from old age.

John

#23 ·
i drilled through the cross member holes throught the frame and now i have 2 grade 8 bolts washers and a couple nuts holding it up in the front. i was planning on doing the same with the back but ill have to drop the subframe for that.

#26 ·
Witt19 said:
i stripped mine too, an impact never touched those bolts. I agree that they are very easy to strip. I just retapped mine to a larger size and its been all good since ;)
A larger size? With what thread? I am intimidated by the helicoil. I do not want to drill out the hole and make it too big.
Also, Helicoil is not cheap and you will only use liek 2 tops? What do you do, sell the rest back to someone as used?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.