SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions? I know that AGXs are great, but I probably can't come up with the cash for those :mad:

These are my criteria:

Must work OK with Eibach Pro-kits.
Must have good reliability record (your personal experience counts).
Must have decent warranty.

Anybody have used/low mileage struts laying around?

Or, if you're parting out a classic I'll take all four complete strut assemblies off your hands.

TIA

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You want struts that work well with Prokits? Get AGX's or some Koni inserts (though it's a pain to install in the stock struts by yourself).

You want to replace struts more often with Prokits? Get KYB GR-2's, Tokico's, or OEM. They'll all work fine for a *short* while, and the ride will be a notch more harsh than stock.

--Andrew Phan

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You want to replace struts more often with Prokits? Get KYB GR-2's, Tokico's, or OEM. They'll all work fine for a *short* while, and the ride will be a notch more harsh than stock.

How long is a short while?

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
SCC only got 20k off of thier tokico struts.. and for the record scc used tokico because GAB was either too expensive at that time or didnt even exist... niether was kyb around. GR-2 are no better than tokico, you have your choices, either do it once or do it twice :0

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
20K miles you say? i'll take that :)

i just picked up a used set up ProKits, and some bestest friends and other misc. people are pitching in for GR2s. besides, anything is better than stock right now. if i go DET in the future, then i'll complement that beautiful motor with an equally beautiful suspension.

I don't anticipate driving much more than that for the next year and a half or two. then i'll be a college grad on the market for another car :D

Supra TT 6speed, here i come!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
NismoSER said:
i just picked up a used set up ProKits, and some bestest friends and other misc. people are pitching in for GR2s. besides, anything is better than stock right now.
GR-2's are nothing more than *OEM replacements*. The GR in GR-2 stands for Gas Replacement. They are NO better than stock. Besides... have you ever taken a look at your stock struts? In case for my NX (and SE-R), they said KYB.

Stine: 20k sounds about right... Though the ride in my SE-R got really harsh after 10k with Eibach Sportline springs on the stock struts.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000 (GC/Koni)
1998 200SX SE-R (GC/KYB AGX)

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Decision to follow.

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
ok ok Rollcage...allow me to rephrase...i realize your mission to have AGXs for everyone ;) but alas, i am a not-very-liquid college student.

here goes: anything is better than a stock 130,000 mile suspension. better? :)

and correct me if i'm wrong..aren't the stock struts hydraulic, where as the GR2s are gas?

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
I'd listen to Andrew if I were you, his NX has a MONSTER suspension. It simply kicks ass. (I know, I got a ride with him at the SoCal Track Day.) He knows his stuff about suspensions. ;)

Seriously though, you are MUCH better off getting the AGX's than ready-to-fail stock shock replacements...especially if you're running Pro-Kits. You'll hate your ride after a while. You won't be able to take anyone in the back seat cuz you'll rub or scrape. One of my friends has the GR-2s + Pro-Kits, and his car doesn't handle much at all...it is like riding on a 130,000 mile suspension. ;)

www.p-s-t.com sells the AGX's for $389 a set. Install them yourself (get a GOOD spring compressor) and you'll be happy. Plus, you'll be ready to "upgrade" to Ground Controls when you're ready to make your car handle *very* well.

All IMHO, of course.

K

·
0 Posts
:) I got 36 HOURS out of a set of gabriel shocks that I put on with prokits on my NX2000... it was really sad... the first day I was like, "Wow that was the best $75 I ever spent! ($25 each and buy 3 get 1 free)..."

the second day, "Hm... was this this bouncy the day before?!"

The third day. "Ok, why can't I see? oh, it's because my head is bouncing off the roof of the car and I feel like my brain is filled with superheated popcorn and that my arms are going to fall off and..."

-kit

·
8,148 Posts
kitwetzler said:
:) I got 36 HOURS out of a set of gabriel shocks that I put on with prokits on my NX2000... it was really sad... the first day I was like, "Wow that was the best $75 I ever spent! ($25 each and buy 3 get 1 free)..."

the second day, "Hm... was this this bouncy the day before?!"

The third day. "Ok, why can't I see? oh, it's because my head is bouncing off the roof of the car and I feel like my brain is filled with superheated popcorn and that my arms are going to fall off and..."

-kit
36 hours, ooh ****, Kit don't make me laugh. Actually you just did. Thank you fo that post cause I felt like **** all day:p

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
NismoSER said:
ok ok Rollcage...allow me to rephrase...i realize your mission to have AGXs for everyone ;) but alas, i am a not-very-liquid college student.
Nah... My mission is for everyone who wants to lower their car to *NOT* buy non-adjustable OEM replacement struts to complement the lowering springs (or coilovers). I understand your financial situation (I was there about 3 years ago, and I'm on my way back to that situation), but you'll end up paying more in the long run by replacing your struts more often than if you just spent the extra $$ on the AGX's.

here goes: anything is better than a stock 130,000 mile suspension. better? :)
Heh... How bout no? Try 132,000 stock suspension... Finally went completely kaput after 5 autox events! :D

and correct me if i'm wrong..aren't the stock struts hydraulic, where as the GR2s are gas?
Heh... That's a good question, and one that I don't have the answer to... Bottom line: GR-2's are OEM replacements, and therefore are no better than OEM (heck the GR-2's are OEM on quite a bit of cars... Wouldn't be surprised if the SE-R was one of them).

--Andrew Phan

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
I know you are right Rollcage, but i'm going to have to be stubborn and stick with the GR2's anyway. As long as it lasts a year and a half or two...which is how much longer this car will remain my daily driver in its current condition, it sounds good to me.

given that i drive roughly 12K a year, if that much...i figure 10K over the 4 'summer' months i'm home, and 2K while at college...these GR2's and ProKits will accomplish what i need. Besides, when i do get around to giving the car what it deserves, brand new prokits and AGX's will be in the mix, or GC's or who knows. Trust me though, i do trust in your knowledge! :)

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
Yeah , i bought mine from them... i know its not listed on the site so order by phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts