SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
First timer doing a strut job on my 91 nx2000 with all stock strut replacement. I've searched for a write up but didn't have any luck. I have the haynes manual.. but I would appreciate advice or even step by step info. Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Here's a great tip, post this in the correct section. :)

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
There are 3 nuts under the hood and under the hatch that hold each strut top hat to the car. They are 12mm, IIRC. There are also 2 17mm bolts on each strut that hold it to the knuckle/hub assembly. You will need two wrenches for these, one to hold the bolt and the other to turn the nut.

Getting the top hat off may prove to be a pain for you. I have just used something like a piece of rubber hose around the shaft to protect it while I hold it with vice grips and turn the nut off the top.

Hope this helps a little.

EDIT: These are the holes for the 2 17mm bolts:

·
love the Florida sun!!
1,906 Posts
invest in some strut spring compressors, they cost about 30 bucks from advance auto, trust me you will thank yourself for doing it....

you will have to 1st compres the spring using said tools, and they remove the ?????? i forgot the size of the bolt that holds the strut top, if using hand tools it may take you a little while ( assuming you'll be taking your time and not rushing it ) i used an electric impact to compress the spring , makes things so much easier.

only took me about an hour for both sides , an alignment MAY be a good idea but not neccessary

·
Rebuilding
3,916 Posts
the one on the shaft is not a 12, the 3 around it are 12s.
Oh, i just glanced at his post i didnt read it word for word, the nut for the shaft is big maybe a 17mm or bigger

·
Registered
417 Posts
any one know if i can lower my car on gc with gr2 struts, and how long would it last if i drop it 1 1/2 inches? pm if any thing thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts